PDA

View Full Version : Cartigde overal lenght (COL) for FAL?

RichM
March 08, 2007, 08:20
I'm starting to work up a general 308 load for use in my FAL and bolt gun. I'd like to get the max COL as I can so the bullet jump to rifling is minimized in both but still have it fit in the magazine. I plan on trying 2.795 inch to start with since that seems to be the max that will fit in the magazine per my measurements.
Has anyone had any problems with that COL?
And/or is there a recomended COL to use for the FAL?

MAINER
March 08, 2007, 10:15
Most of my FAL loads are 147gr fmj with canalure. It works out to 2.80 OAL + or - .005 with M80 bullets. All non canalure loads are set to the same specs. No problems so far.

I have some loads with 2.900" OAL that fit in the mags and work fine, but I like a bit more clearence.

Milspec Nato ammo on hand is 2.790" OAL

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 09, 2007, 02:34
Keep in mind that the length of the bullets themselves will vary significantly. Even with match bullets. It isn't any big deal in regard to accuracy, but it would suck to use one of the shorter bullets to set you seating die, make a run of a couple hundred rounds, and find that half of them will not fit in the mags.

owlcreekok
March 09, 2007, 12:31
Even in commercial "upper end" bullets, I have found the cannelures to vary in position along the bullet length as much as .005". As a matter of fact, the Military pulls I use for FAL Feed have less variance in this than a bunch of Speer Grand Slam .277 spire points. Go figure that, huh.

I got in a heated discussion on this a few months ago with a guy I met at the range. He maintained that the bullets vary less than .001" in this regard (cannelure position). What he said MY problem was is in the fact I use a POS Lee trim set up that stops the cutter based on the thickness of the case web. :rolleyes: At that point, I feigned surrender in the discussion. No need in arguing with this cat, I figured.

Just to give it a whirl, I trimmed a few cases on my Lyman Universal. (case base to mouth reference in the stop of the cutter). Same result. :eek: :rofl:

I would have to do some measuring and it will vary from bullet to bullet as to the amount of freebore you can get or eliminate. I will hazard a guess here and say that the COL will be limited by the FAL magazine long before you close up the freebore enough to change POI in your ammo.

But that is a guess.

Post your results, it's all good.

:]

ftierson
March 09, 2007, 13:04
I load to 2.795" Max. COL for 7.62x51mm NATO guns...

I gauge every round (pass it through a dial caliper set at 2.795")...

I've never had OAL problems in any 7.62mm NATO/.308 Win. rifle...

For what it's worth...

Forrest

FAL4EVER
March 14, 2007, 08:44
Originally posted by owlcreekok

I would have to do some measuring and it will vary from bullet to bullet as to the amount of freebore you can get or eliminate. I will hazard a guess here and say that the COL will be limited by the FAL magazine long before you close up the freebore enough to change POI in your ammo.

But that is a guess.

Post your results, it's all good.

:]

COL is indeed limited by the magazine.
71.8mm (or 2.826") never caused feeding problems.

Another variable I've run into is just plain inconsistent bullet shape. If the spot where the seater die contacts the bullet differs, it will seat deeper of less deep.