PDA

View Full Version : Sundry AK stuff from AIM

Timber Wolf
March 02, 2007, 19:19
Got in a little order from AIM today. I am happy, as usual with AIM and their stuff. Got two of the US made ProMag Clear/Smoke 30 round 7.62 mags ($14.95). I have another Coyote (tan) ProMag but have not tried any of them yet but they look good. I thought the smoke mags would be nice for range mags as I can see how many rounds are in one.

Also got five of the used 5.45 black mags. These are only $5.95 each so even though I have several lifetimes supply of the brown ones for my SAR-2 I thought a few black ones would be nice to have at that price. They are much better condition then I thought they would be, mostly just greasy-dirty, and very little appearant wear.

The one thing I am not happy with is the UTG Ergo grip ($14.95). It seems to be well made but has a very pronounced ledge along the right side up high where your trigger finger rests. This increases the length of "pull" so to speak and is no good for fat handed people like me. It looks like I can Dremel it off so I will mount it and see what it needs. The grip is otherwise OK, I just think they over thought it and put too much beef into it somewhere not required.

Finally, (for the AK stuff) I got two of the Romanian lever type folding stocks ($39.95). These are a steal for the price. They don't look all that comfortable and a tight cheek weld is out but they shoot really fine for me. Can't beat them for easy installation. Out with the old, in with the new. These don't come with the screws but I read somebody found the right metric screws at Lowes or HD. I have three of these now without screws so I may chase the holes to some close SAE thread and be done. I think a guy needs at least one of these in hand for each AK he has. Remember how valuable and desirable folding stock AKs (anything, really) were during the ban? You don't have to install it yet, just do it before the next ban.

Got some other stuff too but that is all the AK stuff, another successful raid on the AIM website I'd say.:biggrin:

WiFAL
March 03, 2007, 09:50
+1 on the folding stock. I've got one (need another) and they are the cat's a$$. I think I'll get one of those smoke ProMags too. I actually prefer 20 rnd. mags in my AKs but what the heck. AIM has an OK price on AR mags too. Need some of those. I just inventoried my ammo dump and found I could use some more 7.62x54R. AIM has a good price on Hungarian light ball too.

Guess that operation will have to wait for another month. ;)

March 03, 2007, 13:03
Originally posted by Timber Wolf

The one thing I am not happy with is the UTG Ergo grip ($14.95). It seems to be well made but has a very pronounced ledge along the right side up high where your trigger finger rests. This increases the length of "pull" so to speak and is no good for fat handed people like me. It looks like I can Dremel it off so I will mount it and see what it needs. The grip is otherwise OK, I just think they over thought it and put too much beef into it somewhere not required.

If it is the hard style grip, it is easily modified. The problem I have with these grips is that they dig into the web of my hand. The rough texture adds to the discomfort. I started with a Dremel sanding drum then used some 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod for the final shape. It sands down easily. 5 minutes of work for a vastly better grip. I can live with that.

raeldridge
March 03, 2007, 16:03
thanks for the heads up, I didn't know AIM was selling folding stocks. I'll bop over to their site and check it out.

keepitsimple
March 03, 2007, 16:05
what BAN we don't need no stinking BAN

repeat after me WE WILL NOT COMPLY

Farmer from Hell
March 04, 2007, 09:03
http://www.blackrifles.com/catalog/images/ag47.jpg

The TDI grip is about the most ergo grip Ive ever handled.

I got mine from blackrifles.com at a show.

FfH

bobsfal
March 27, 2007, 18:38
ive had feeding problems with the pro mags,...i prefer the good old reliable steel mags
NO PROBLEMS

Kyrottimus
March 28, 2007, 05:59
Originally posted by Farmer from Hell
http://www.blackrifles.com/catalog/images/ag47.jpg

The TDI grip is about the most ergo grip Ive ever handled.

I got mine from blackrifles.com at a show.

FfH

I have one of those on my blonde-wood Romy AKM build.

NICE!!! Best grip I've felt on an AK.