PDA

View Full Version : Id say the surplus powder game is over for the moment.

Borsig
February 26, 2007, 18:18
Other than .50 cal powder, the only place that has any small arms pulldown that Ive seen is Pats.

844, 846 at $99 a keg.

I dont know about you guys, but I think he is past his "price point". He MAY sell some of it.... BUT for $115 you can get 8lbs of commercial, say Varget, 4064, 4895, you name it, the list goes on.

For like, $12/1000 rounds I think I will be buying Something like varget over 846 pulldown.

Will anyone here consider that stuff at 99 bucks a keg? Just curious... For me its a major no brainer. I have a good bit (4 kegs of 4895, 2 844, 2846) of surplus, but when this runs out, if pulldown is still this high, I think I will be moving to commercial.

Varget is really good stuff to be saving 15 bucks a thousand.

River Pig
February 26, 2007, 18:24
+1. At $80 or less it's worth using pulldown. At $99+ it's on to the commercial.

jerrymrc
February 26, 2007, 20:01
+2 My order from a few weeks ago is on its way @ $320 for 32 lbs.

I have not checked Varget but I can get something like AA2460 for $110 out the door after my discount and I do not have to buy 32 lbs at a time from Sportsmans Wherehouse.

Once over $10 a pound surplus is not worth it IMO.

mdlmkr 7.62
February 26, 2007, 22:12
The whole game seems to be drying up at least for now. Primers are $30 / k and bullets are outta sight. :cry:

Just glad I ordered what I did when I did.

7.62 :fal:

Hebrew Battle Rifle
February 27, 2007, 12:13
The advantage of pull down surplus powder was the price. Since surplus powder is bulk grade, the burn rate varies from lot to lot. So, everytime you change lots, you have to start all over again working up a load. When you are getting the powder for half the cost of new commerical, then it is worth the effort. When surplus powder is essentially equal in price to commercial, then there is no advantage at all. When you add in the expense of having to purchase 32 pounds of surplus at a time in order to get a decent price, buying surplus not only loses its advantage, it becomes a burden.

richbug
February 27, 2007, 12:22
Varget for $113 compared to mystery powder for $99..... Let me think about it.:)

Anything over $70 and I went to commercial.

Borsig
February 27, 2007, 12:45
Yeah I just dont get it myself. Dont they realize what the price point is on this stuff?

DarkEarth
February 27, 2007, 18:48
Hey I ordered 32 lbs from Pats 4 days before he changed the price to 99. per 8lbs on his websit.

However, he said at the time of order that they were "three weeks out" on processing orders.

Am I going to be charged the new price? or the old one?

I will be calling in tomorrow, but would like to know what his SOP is regarding this type of timing. Opinions?

And where are you getting Varget at 113.? powdervalley?

I might have to change my order with pats.

richbug
February 28, 2007, 08:31
Originally posted by DarkEarth
Hey I ordered 32 lbs from Pats 4 days before he changed the price to 99. per 8lbs on his websit.

However, he said at the time of order that they were "three weeks out" on processing orders.

I will be calling in tomorrow, but would like to know what his SOP is regarding this type of timing. Opinions?

Yep, Powder Valley

tommygun2000
February 28, 2007, 15:36
Originally posted by DarkEarth

I think you get the price at the time of the order.
I was charged the old price when I ordered. I ordered about three weeks ago and was charged the 79.99 price for 6 jugs and no hazmat.