PDA

View Full Version : 75rd drums

Padeep
February 18, 2007, 01:34
Anybody know where to get a chinese drum?

What is the going price?

Thanks,

Pdp

Edgsmth
February 18, 2007, 01:38
You're looking at about $110.

Try Tapco.

Padeep
February 18, 2007, 02:09
Thanks Edgs;

Didnt see any AK drums at Tapco.

Centerfire has Romanians for $114.

Several on GB, between $140-185 for a Norinco...

Pdp

nutinauniversalshell
February 20, 2007, 16:14
chinese i've seen are close to 150, but I like it better than the romy.

crcksht
March 01, 2007, 10:23
The Chinese can be left loaded indefinately with no load on the spring, then wound-up when you need it.

You can't do that with a top-loaded Romanian.

Valkyrie0002
March 01, 2007, 20:29
I read a post on an AK file a while back where a Rommy drum was kept loaded to test for spring fatigue. It had been loaded for months and the drum functioned fine.

Vagabond
March 01, 2007, 22:49
Here's a couple going FS

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=190418

jmonarch
March 05, 2007, 19:38
http://www.whatacountry.com/aspcart/default.asp

Supposedly limited stock at $189 each.

bobsfal
March 27, 2007, 18:42
there is a couple on gunbroker,some what high priced tho---75 rnd. and 100 rnd. they work flawlessly tho.

mdlmkr 7.62
March 29, 2007, 20:27
Good way to waste a barrel IMO. Most AK's have lightweight barrels. The MG variants have much heavier barrels to withstand the abuse the going through many rounds in a short time dishes out. Try running a 30 rd mag through your AK and then spit on the barrel. The spit will sizzle like water on a hot frying pan.

They do look cool though.... :biggrin:

Thunderbred
March 29, 2007, 22:13
I have a dozen of the chino 75s, they're great. You can get the barrel so hot that the furniture smokes, let it cool, shoot it till it happens again. I've some AKs I've had since the 80s that have been treated to this kinda fun and they're still fine and the barrels aren't worn out.
The springs in mags don't wear because thier compressed, wear happens when they are compressed and then released many times. They won't loose memory because they have a load on them. I've 30 round mags that I loaded with Norinco ammo I bought when it was still being imported, they still function no problems whenever I pull em out and use em. Did some recently.
The only disadvantage to the romy drums is the manner of loading, once loaded you can store it, pull it out, empty, refill and do it again.
Best deal on the chinos is usually found on the diffrent boards in the market places. When you get up in the AM check the boards, then when you get home from work hit them again. They're there quite often if you keep vigilent you'll get em, they go quick if they are priced where they should be.
Good luck, Jeff

gunnut1
April 12, 2007, 00:30
Now do you guys actually think that the Russians would design a piece of equipment that would wear out before it was used? Theses guys have flat clock work springs. Springs wear out from use not from being depressed or wound. The only exeption to this would be if you over wound the spring in which case it will break.

I have one of each and I prefer the Russian style to the Chi com drums.

crcksht
April 12, 2007, 10:54
Wolff Gunsprings (http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html)

5. Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting. Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. Older designs where maximum capacity was not the goal such as the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring. In recent hi-capacity magazines, the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical. In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs.

gunnut1
April 12, 2007, 16:37
Probably turue but what about clockwork spring like the drums have.