PDA

View Full Version : Air compressors Vs. Primers

instr8
February 10, 2007, 20:43
I probably already know the answer to my own question. A big NO. A little background.....I have a barrel full of empty cases that still have a live berdan primer in them. I would obviously like to save the primer. I have a pretty large compressor at 155PSI. I wonder if it would be possible if I could rig up an adapter, if the compressor would blow the primer out. I know that they stay in when fired at 50,000+- PSI, but keep in mind that the bolt is holding those in. Does anyone think it is possible?

but I haven't tried it yet.

okiefarmer
February 10, 2007, 20:57
You didn't say, but is the brass something you can't use, hence the desire to remove the primer to use it in something else. I seriously doubt 155# air pressure is gonne even come close. I have heard of the water hydraulics method, tried it a time or two, it sucks and ain't as easy as they say. Only reason water works is it does not compress. Air compresses tremendously, but still 155# I doubt will budge the primer.

My two pesos,
Okie out

BUFF
February 10, 2007, 20:58
Your primers are probably crimped in, so I doubt it will work.

I used to reload Berdan cases for some European sporting rifles I owned for which ammo was near impossible to find (in the 1970's). I tried using the "water and plunger" hydraulic method to remove them and it was very hit and miss with non-crimped primers. The water, being a liquid, does not compress. Air, being a gas, does compress. I think the air compressor idea would work less well than you would hope.

I ended up using one of the RCBS Berdan decapping tools. Not really fast but workes pretty well.

fastprofessor
February 10, 2007, 21:12
YMMV, but for 1.5-2 cents each, I wouldn't mess with em. If you don't want the brass, you'd probably make more money selling it to someone who wants to load it.

instr8
February 10, 2007, 21:26
*Primers in these cases are not crimped.

*Just thinking it might be a source for berdan primers. There hard to find at any price.

*Can't use the berdan decapper cause the primers are live, and well....it would destroy them.

*Can't use the water/hydrolic method. Water would have an adverse affect on a live primer.

*I might use some, but not as many as I have.