PDA

View Full Version : Correct history of the Imbel MD2/3/SAR4800 5.56 series 56k packalunch

Mr pogo
February 07, 2007, 19:58
I burned this to CD exactly 7 years ago this month so I mustve scanned it around 98 or 99. Scanners sucked back then and I didnt have photoshop so the quality isnt the best compared to nowadays. I dont think I have posted them since the new board went up in 00.

Ronaldo Olive is very knowledgeable about Brazilian firearms, he used to have a website in english/portuguese but I dont know if it is still around. This magazine article was from about 1996.
You can safely consider this the final word on the history of the 5.56 MD series.

http://images.filecloud.com/361527/page1.jpg

http://images.filecloud.com/361529/page2.jpg

http://images.filecloud.com/361530/page3.jpg

http://images.filecloud.com/361531/page4.jpg

vmtz
February 07, 2007, 20:26
This needs to be a sticky.

Vince

splattermatic
February 07, 2007, 20:46
it's a sticky now, great read and valuable info here.
seems another page of fal history turned.

any info on imported numbers ?

glad i snatched one up...

thanks mr. pogo, as always, your a wealth of information.

don't ever leave here, please.......

aardq
February 08, 2007, 01:48
Great stuff.

Thanks,
Dan

Abominog
February 13, 2007, 08:27
This should be in R&D.

ratas calientes
February 14, 2007, 17:34
Per the article, the original hand-specimen prototype employed a rotating breach-locking bolt. The article was not clear if the production MD2 and MD3 retained the rotating bolt or if they went back to the tilting bolt. One might assume this, by the fact that the imported SAR4800 .223's made from IMBEL have the tilting bolt. I thought I had read that the .223 FALS made by FMAP of Argentina had rotating bolts, and they were also designated MD2 and MD3. This thus adds to my confusion. I'll have to look it up again. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

Mr pogo
February 14, 2007, 20:42
Originally posted by ratas calientes
Per the article, the original hand-specimen prototype employed a rotating breach-locking bolt. The article was not clear if the production MD2 and MD3 retained the rotating bolt or if they went back to the tilting bolt. One might assume this, by the fact that the imported SAR4800 .223's made from IMBEL have the tilting bolt. I thought I had read that the .223 FALS made by FMAP of Argentina had rotating bolts, and they were also designated MD2 and MD3. This thus adds to my confusion. I'll have to look it up again. http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

The SAR4800s in 5.56 were production MD3A1s made for Springfield Armory.
I dont believe Argentina made any production 5.56 Fals, IIRC FMAP Rosario (whatever it was correctly named) was closed down during the 80s. I vaguely remember Janes or similar having a brief mention of 5356 Fal testing done by Argentina but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Now as of a couple years ago Imbel was testing a rotating bolt 5.56 rifle with Fal features, IIRC it used a gas system similar to the M16.
If it made it into production it may well be called an MD2 or 3, Imbel has had pistols with that nomenclature before.

Ricketts
February 28, 2007, 20:45
I just wanna buy some of those battle packs of that SA in the ad for $49.95.

Great article!!

jugrunner
June 07, 2007, 17:51
I'm happy just to be able to post in this thread ... I shot mine today !!

It was unfired ... I stuck an "Izzy" wood set on her ... U.S. FCG and Piston and took her to the range ... Mine is in the kinda early 1200 serial # range and I've read these threads to death ... I was expecting some issues ... maybe ...

Not one ... not one FTF ... not one FTE ... Beautiful !!!

I'm one lucky SOB ... This has to be the finest rifle I've ever owned !!

Many thanks for all the info and great articles guys ... Thanks for all the research you do and thanks for sharing ... I'm kinda proud to stand amongst you guys !!

... :bow: ...

Lee Carpentieri
November 07, 2007, 09:29
Argentina never made a 5.56mm Fal according to Janes Infantry weapons, Your thinking of the Argentinan Fara 83 Assault rifle in 5.56mm that has a two lug rotating bolt according to Janes Infantry weapons. The only thing that the Argies might have taken from the Fal for the Fara 83 to use is the Fal pistol grip. The info in Janes is from 1990/91 and 1998/99 books. After that DGFM closed down its production of the fal altogether in 1999. In 1984 they only made 1000 of the fara 83's and a few more after that, But ceased production altogether shortly after that.

FALshot
January 28, 2008, 20:50
Originally posted by jugrunner
I'm happy just to be able to post in this thread ... I shot mine today !!

It was unfired ... I stuck an "Izzy" wood set on her ... U.S. FCG and Piston and took her to the range ... Mine is in the kinda early 1200 serial # range and I've read these threads to death ... I was expecting some issues ... maybe ...

Not one ... not one FTF ... not one FTE ... Beautiful !!!

I'm one lucky SOB ... This has to be the finest rifle I've ever owned !!

Many thanks for all the info and great articles guys ... Thanks for all the research you do and thanks for sharing ... I'm kinda proud to stand amongst you guys !!

... :bow: ...

I too love my .223 Imbel FAL imported by Springfield. I have yet to find out from a reliable source how many were imported. I have been told (via someone online) that there were 1500 imported by Springfield,....

While not as light as my Colt A3 I feel the extra weight of the .223 FAL give me less felt recoil. I value this little package more then any other firearm I own,...

By the way, the new "PMag" magazines are outstanding. I love them in my AR and my .223 FAL.

Regards,

Bill Woodward
Portland, Oregon

vmtz
January 28, 2008, 20:55
Originally posted by FALshot

I too love my .223 Imbel FAL imported by Springfield. I have yet to find out from a reliable source how many were imported. I have been told (via someone online) that there were 1500 imported by Springfield,....

While not as light as my Colt A3 I feel the extra weight of the .223 FAL give me less felt recoil. I value this little package more then any other firearm I own,...

By the way, the new "PMag" magazines are outstanding. I love them in my AR and my .223 FAL.

Regards,

Bill Woodward
Portland, Oregon

Ratas looked at the serial numbers and determined that there were only about 800 imported.

Vince

RRotz
June 12, 2008, 19:29
Hey, I just saw this thread! Thanks Stan! Where you been bro?

2barearms
September 05, 2008, 18:17
The links are gone, would really like to see them.

Mr pogo
July 21, 2010, 02:52
so this was stickied after all lol

filecloud went out of business before I could save most of my pics.
however I have the original magazine and a much better scanner.
we'll see what happens, I have alot going on irl.