PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into this

panzer
January 31, 2007, 00:56
Ak seems so easy to build, helped on a few but that was awhile ago. Now people are making recievers from scratch, rewelding milled ones, all sorts of stuff. I hear the Afghans made them from scratch in caves with hand tools.... SOO... I think I can do it... thought ablout the 7.62 krink from GPG on a stamped reciever. or making a reciever, or getting the tools to do it a few times. but the different types ect seem to be a bit too muchto take in. Any GAFAL'rs doing this? Can I be taught?

FTW2012
January 31, 2007, 02:29
Once you tool up to build yourself one they are like Lays potato chips!
You CAN'T have just one
As you said cheap to build, where else can you make your own receiver from a $14 flat? Even to buy one already done from Global Trades or any number of other manufacturers is still under $100!
The last AK I built cost about $175 / Complete with US parts & a can of flat black engine paint for the finish
All in all, I got to hang out with a good friend for several hours, we worked on our rifles and then got to go shooting before dark! How could you go wrong?

Get a 24" bolt cutter, grind it into a giant rivet crusher and have at it

mj2evans
January 31, 2007, 11:29
Its a great excuse to get a few more tools. I got the added bonus of my wife's Grandfather (Lt Col Bleck, flew two mission over France on D day) helping me squash rivets on my first AK. Always good to add new skills, plus you get a GUN!!!!

treekiller
February 07, 2007, 18:36
i was just sying to my friend who works in a machine/ hydraulic shop, we should have some build parties. I said i heard AK's were fairly easy to do and they already have the tools to do that stuff, hey after few AK's and some instuctions maybe a couple FALs and some HKs. i feel all tinglly with the thought of inexpensive new guns!!!!!!!!:fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal:
those are the future guns in my collection ha ha.

jacob2008
February 14, 2007, 10:39
I made one with my dad, its pretty neat, works like a charm!

As the lays potato chip thing was stated, thats true, We just bought another kit :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :fal: :fal: :fal: :wink: :skull:

Oooo i like these smilie faces already

Dirt1042
February 14, 2007, 23:42
I too am partakeing in this endeavor in a couple of weeks when I get all of my parts in. I'm going to go with a couple of Romy G kits with nodakspud receivers.
It will be fun for my dad and I to build one or two of these rifles and see if we can get them working.

flopshot
February 15, 2007, 06:57
untill you know you want to go further, do a screw build on a 100 % reciever.
if you don't have a bending jig and want a no number gun, go with a pre-bent reciever and finish the cuts and holes. easy way is the cut flats and find a bending/building party with the jig and rivet tools.
the thing is, you should buy kits now while you can. what's out there has gone up about thiry percent, the good ones are scarce, tantals are hard to find.
the nice thing is you can build a low cost Romanian action and bolt on any furniture you want to change the look. they're prety easy.

panzer
February 15, 2007, 22:32
where to find the best kits and some cheap kits? recievers? and tools? i know several people that want to build these so I might get the bending jig ad trunion press. I can rivet and have acces to a welder thats ultra gun friendly. i just have no idea where to start to look

Digger_the_Dermatophyte
February 16, 2007, 10:41
I think we are past the golden age of AK kits at this point. Century has some romys, DPH has Romys and some folding Polish kits, Bocephus (here on the files and he's an outstanding guy to deal with) has some Krink kits (these are nice), Classic Arms has some romys. There no doubt are others arond. For tooling, check out. I have his flat bender and riveting jig and they work well.

http://dpharms.com/

Edgsmth
February 17, 2007, 22:54
Originally posted by jacob2008
I made one with my dad, its pretty neat, works like a charm!

As the lays potato chip thing was stated, thats true, We just bought another kit :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :aug: :fal: :fal: :fal: :wink: :skull:

Oooo i like these smilie faces already

Hey Jake, long time no see.

Jake and his dad put one together in a couple days. The trick is to know when to ask questions, and where to ask them. Here looks like a great place for that.

jacob2008
February 18, 2007, 10:35
Whats up, Edgsmth

jacob2008
February 18, 2007, 10:39
Originally posted by panzer
where to find the best kits and some cheap kits? recievers? and tools? i know several people that want to build these so I might get the bending jig ad trunion press. I can rivet and have acces to a welder thats ultra gun friendly. i just have no idea where to start to look

Romanian I believe are the best, and that is also what ive been told. I have one, I built it. It was fairly simple. They run about 109.00 for a kit, then 50 for a reciever, 25 for FFL handling charge, unless you ARE an ffl, then your looking at about 20 dollars into a mag, bullets went WAY up. its 5.50 for 20 now, and that corrosive, then youve got 40-50 into compliance parts, or you going fully auto? :devil: :devil:

so, your looking at about.. oh say, 250 for everything, or my shop sells new ones for 520.00

Edgsmth
February 18, 2007, 23:36
Err, uhhh, Jake, full auto is illegal, we don't need to burn up our precious ammo on FA.

I saw a clip online where a guy kept loading 30 round mags after going through a drum on FA. Didn't take long before the wood was on fire, quite a clip, the guy blazing away with a blazing rifle.

Edgsmth
February 18, 2007, 23:53
Romys are probably the best deal now, still seen for $100 here and there. Not much difference between the most common low end kits, AMD, Romy. Get into the underfolders and some sidefolders and you'll get a headache chasing down the right parts and flats. Yugos for the most part have a bulged trunnion that needs a different flat like a stamped RPK that flares out at the top of the trunnion.

Remember, if you build on a flat it isn't really transferrable if you go to sell it. you could make a gift of it however or sell it for what you have into it and accept a cash gift from someone. They can't go through an FFL because, no serial numbers. If you're building a nice Yugo underfolder you'll probably want a numbered receiver in case you sell it. The ATF is funny about bathtub firearms makers making $ on such things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/blckhrn/9-32.jpg

panzer
February 19, 2007, 00:06
I just got a M92 krink kit and a polish Tantal sidefolder 5.45. I have a picture of me and a Polish soldier in Babylon where we traded weapons for a minute, him with the M4 and me with his sid folder AK. He said my M4 felt cheap...WOW!! So I wanted to build one of those for the memories. I will most likely go with a finished nodak reciever for this one. Possably even the krink. I will be working towards a standard run of the mill, closest to original style AK to build from a flat. Alot of people I know want to do this as well, so I will be buying the tools. Which is the best/easiest to use bender? I have access to a press deep enough to seat an HK barrel, and like I said a skilled welder. No interest in selling one to anyone, don't want to get involved with the whole excise tax manufacturing BS. Pay enough tax as it is. But, I like to build things and once i get it figured out I am more than willing to help others build. Everyone deserves to have a rifle they built themselves, right? Thats 90% of the fun. ( 9% shooting 1% cleaning..) besides a good AK stashed here and there couldn't hurt. ANy one in GA building these? I bet Stimpy has done a few or at least could...he probably could do it from scratch like the Afgahns though...

Edgsmth
February 19, 2007, 15:44
I've done some press brake work and even with a nicely set up Niagara you'd pay hell getting a flat to bend around the mag well. That looks like it would be about .060 of a lip. I really wish the flats came without this cutout or at least the longitudinal cuts to facilitate bending.

I have a couple flats that I will be scoring at the bend lines with a 1/4 shank die grinder. This and an old saw vise should get the job done, no need for a bending jig. Then weld the corners.

FTW2012
February 19, 2007, 23:17
Originally posted by Edgsmth
I've done some press brake work and even with a nicely set up Niagara you'd pay hell getting a flat to bend around the mag well. That looks like it would be about .060 of a lip. I really wish the flats came without this cutout or at least the longitudinal cuts to facilitate bending.

I have a couple flats that I will be scoring at the bend lines with a 1/4 shank die grinder. This and an old saw vise should get the job done, no need for a bending jig. Then weld the corners.

I have seen "fold by hand" flats out there. You fold them then run a weld down the seam. I guess it all depends on what a guy is set up with.
Personally I've only ever used a jig & shop press to make my own receivers

For a rivet crusher I just took a bolt cutter to the bench grinder to modify the jaws, first set was a failure after the second rivet, second set is still going after about 15 - 18 builds, you can't take too much material off!