PDA

View Full Version : Identification: "over 90 countries" ?

Deltaten
September 07, 2001, 17:18
Can anybody either provide the list, or point me to a source for the list. I know I've seen it somewhere, I just can't lay my hands on it, now that I want it!

TIA,
Paul

EMDII
September 07, 2001, 18:06
I ain't typing the sumbitch, for sure.

Stevens' books document all the contracts made, by year. In addition, Skennerton's book on the OzTrayLean SLR identifies all the contracts filled from Lithgow.

Well over 90.

If you insist, we can answer yes/no to 'Chile' and 'Cuba'- both YES btw. Same with Singapore. It's a long damn list. For the cost of the books (about US$ 130 total) you can have them all!

EMDII
September 07, 2001, 18:14
OK. Changed my mind. I'll type it this weekend!
:rolleyes:

Deltaten
September 07, 2001, 18:40
Thaks Ted, but don't wear your finger out on my account, :)... I thought that it (the list) may appear on the FAL home page, or in an old DSA ad, something like that! Or if some enterprising individual had ALREADY done it, and could post it.
I was gonna find all the national flags of the countries that fielded the FAL, and incorporate it into some sort of "logo" for the M/D Ass'n. Nothing urgent or earth shattering. Thanks for the offer, tho.

Best,
Paul

Batman
September 07, 2001, 21:56
I say go for it Ted. I would love to see a listing. :D

Dirtfarmer
September 07, 2001, 22:16
An abridged listing... something over 70 listed... http://entreprise.com/News/Articles/BannedGun945.htm
terrific article, by the way, written by none other than Joe Poyer. http://entreprise.com/News/Articles/BannedGun941.htm
Goodwill,
-Dirtfarmer

EMDII
September 08, 2001, 17:35
Metric pattern (actually started as the FAL-Canada)

Canada (FAL Canada, subsequently modified to C1 & C1A1)

USA (test only: X and T-48 models)
UK (subsequently the L1A1)
Belgium
Venezuela (Caliber 7mm Liviano)

Argentina
Libya (cyrenaica)

Luxembourg
Germany (G-1)
Belgian Congo
Syria
Lebanon
Paraguay
Qatar

Kuwait

Peru
Austria (StG-58)
Indonesia

Cuba
Mozambique
Santo Domingo

South Africa (R1)
Chile
Saudi Arabia
Muscat & Oman
cambodia
Ecuador

Holland
Portugal
Ireland (Eire)
Rhodesia
Thailand

India (1A, later their own design)
Liberia

Morocco
Burundi
Ruwanda
St. Lucia

Brazil (IMBEL M-964)
Niger

Greece
Abu Dhabi

Tanzania
Madagascar
Kenya

Nigeria
tunisia

Mexico
cameroon
St. vincent
Sultanate de Raas
Sierra Leone
Bahrein

Dubai
St. Kitts
Panama
Honduras

Lesotho

Malawi

upper Volta
Sharjah
Umm al Qiwain

Pakistan

Botswana
Bolivia

Haiti
Mauritania

Inch pattern- as derived from FN submittals or prototypes

Canada- C1, C2 & C1A1D (and A1 variants)
UK- L1A1
Australia: say OzTrayLeah!!! :D

and

Australian contracts (isn't capitalism wonderful!)

L2A1-
Australian Army
Australian Navy
Australian Air Force
Barbados
Brunei
Ghana
India
Jamaica
Malaya
Mauritius
New Zealand Army
New Zealand Navy
Singapore
Tanganyika
Trinidad
Uganda
Zambia

L1A1 SLR-
Australian Army
New Zealand
RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force)
Australian Navy
Ghana
ADE Melbourne
Canada (1 only)
UK (1)
Ceylon
Australian Department of Territories
Singapore
Tanganyika
St. Kilda Police
Trinidad
Uganda
Hong Kong
Sarawak
Singapore Police
Rhodesia (1)
Kenya
Bermuda
Rhodesia (contract)
Sabah
Kuala Lampur
Brunei
South Australian Police
Zambia
Barbados
Department of Territories Christmas Islands
Bahrain
British Guyana
ADE Maribyrnong
Cannon Hill Qld
COD BATU
British Honduras
Guyana
Mauritius
West Malaysia
Botswana
Canberra (city)
National Parks & Wildlife (F1 FH)
Papua & New Guinea
Darwin Northern Territories
Gambia
Nigeria
Sharjah
Colombo
MOD London
RSAF Enfield
Belize
United Arab Emirates
Seychelles
State Police Australia
Fiji
Solomon Islands
Sri Lanka
St. Vincents, West Indies
Nassau, Bahamas
Leeward Islands, WI
SARCO, UK (5)
Tasmanian police
Korea PMC
Italy

Add several private sales, lost, various other Australian governments, yadayada. I won't break out the Australians by year: they were very energetic!

Count em! If I repeated a stroke, TOUGH!
:D

I derived this information from Blake Stevens' book, and Mr. Ian Skennerton's book.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

ricochet
September 08, 2001, 18:01
Great job Ted,
I was under the impression that the Chilean contract in the mid 70S also designated the M964 as it's description. While you have the book open, is there anymore info on the 2 big Chilean orders? TIA :)

EMDII
September 08, 2001, 18:23
Originally posted by ricochet:
<STRONG>Great job Ted,
I was under the impression that the Chilean contract in the mid 70S also designated the M964 as it's description. While you have the book open, is there anymore info on the 2 big Chilean orders? TIA :)</STRONG>

Brazil made 100% of the M-964.

FN made all the 1960 Chilean contracts; they were 50.00 models, plastic HG (non-bipod), plastic PG, and wood Type C (ferrule) buttstock. Had the long Belgian/Browning/US T-48 FH. Later models probably continued upgrades (type 2 receiver, yadayada).

Chile did not manufacture any rifles.

The makers of licensed FAL or derivative rifles were:

Canada C1/C2 and improvements
UK L1A1
USA T-48
Australia L1A1/L2A1
Venezuela 50.00 conversions
Argentina Initially FAL-Canada, then as above
Austria StG-58
South Africa R-1
Brazil IMBEL M-964
note: various producers made the 50.61/50.63/50.64 Paras and 50.41/50.42 FALO

India (1A- NOT licensed, and a bit of a mongrel/Franken-FAL. Part Inch, part Metric.

Belgium did not 'produce' any FAL. They bought from FN, albeit at good prices I presume as host country.

It is of course rumored that the recent IMBEL influx is a Chilean IMBEL contract order for a border war that never happened. I ascribe to it, if only because it sounds right.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

Deltaten
September 08, 2001, 18:38
Ted:
You ARE the man!
and a round of applause,
grateful thanks,
Paul

ricochet
September 08, 2001, 19:10
Thank you Ted,
While helping Jen on the IMBEL sort and pack, we saw many variations of the IMBEL rifle, far and away the majority were the type3 lowers, but not all. We were aware that Brazil built them (what we were told), but I was curious about the 1960 designation mostly. Sounds like 50.00 was origionally it (by FN), until the later contract by IMBEL).

Also, as many of the kits were type 1,2, and 3 receivers, I did not see any wood butts. I guess they retrofitted plastic later? We did see many field repairs on carrying handles and cocking lever knobs.

Thanks Ted, I owe you one, again. ;)

And, I guess this explains why so few had the non-bipod cut handguards. I would like to have the book, I had many questions about the variations (bipod cut, non-bipod cut barrels, sight differences, serial numbers on lowers on some, most not, etc...). If I could quit buying FAL parts and receivers, maybe I could buy the books. I am weak, and cannot help myself.

Oh yeah again, Why not think about preserving this in FAQS, That would be a lot less typing, and a place for all to look. KUDOS Ted, I will save this and learn, great info.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: ricochet ]

7.62love
October 30, 2006, 07:58
Originally posted by EMDII

Belgium did not 'produce' any FAL. They bought from FN, albeit at good prices I presume as host country.

Isn't FN a state owned company, as Fabrique National (national factory) implies. And i think (not sure) that half the dutch Fals where made by A.I. (Artillerie Inrichtingen)

EMDII
October 31, 2006, 10:38
Originally posted by 7.62love

Isn't FN a state owned company, as Fabrique National (national factory) implies. And i think (not sure) that half the dutch Fals where made by A.I. (Artillerie Inrichtingen)

NO-

FN d'Armes de Guerre was formed in 1889 by a consortium of several Armsmakers. And while it has had several Belgian contracts (pre-dating FN), it is a privately-held company. Still.

Tomovich
August 30, 2007, 22:01
:bow:

This thread needs to stay near the top. Good job!

:cool:

brownknees
August 31, 2007, 09:36
Slightly off topic but.

Welcome back, Ted.

New2Brass
January 24, 2010, 17:58
I am sure when this was first posted Wikipedia was not around and though not as exhaustive it adds some info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL