PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever blended similar smokeless powder

instr8
January 20, 2007, 23:33
Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this. I'm not talking about blending bullseye and H870, I'm talking about two very similar burn rate powders. It's not needed for canister grade propellants. There are a few things you have to watch for, but with pulldown and surp powders it sometimes comes in handy to keep from having to work up so much load data. If you shoot PD or surp propellants or something that was loaded by companies that do, you have probably used blended propellants and not even known it. Just wondering if anyone else does this.

ftierson
January 20, 2007, 23:39
No...

I haven't...

Forrest

Brush511
January 20, 2007, 23:52
No. Wouldn't do it myself. I don't think you could blend it evenly enough to get consist shot to shot internal ballistics.

Dave

brownknees
January 21, 2007, 10:34
This usedto be called "Duplex Loadings" when it was a clever idea in the '30's wildcattings "golden age". Then guns exploded & shooters got hurt. I still don't think it's a good idea.

lhofeld
January 21, 2007, 12:03
I will admit that I have with H4895 and IMR4895. I pulled down several hundred 30-06 rounds that I had loaded but no longer have a rifle for. They were loaded with H4895 and IMR 4895. I use the loads interchangable as it is with good results but I will give one cavet. I do not load anywhere near the max loading for either. These are bench rest loads and are closer to the starting loads. If I was trying to shoot for near the max loadings even though they are very close I would not do it. But for my application it has worked fine.

gunsmith_tony
January 21, 2007, 15:45
I don't like even thinking about it.

ftierson
January 21, 2007, 16:53
Originally posted by brownknees
This usedto be called "Duplex Loadings" when it was a clever idea in the '30's wildcattings "golden age". Then guns exploded & shooters got hurt. I still don't think it's a good idea.

Actually, duplex and triplex loads were the norm early on in the development of the .454 Casull and other similar cartridges. However, the powders were not blended, but were carefully (at least in theory) kept separated in layers in the cartridge case...

Powder manufacturers have sophisticated laboratories to assist them in their blending of powders to insure safety...

Different powders from different manufacturers often use different raw materials to produce the product with a specific burning rate. The 'same' powders over time from the 'same' manufacturers also are often changed. While you might be able to mix powders safely some of the time, you never know when you might get the wrong mix (different deterrent coatings used in the two powders being mixed that don't get along well, chemically, or problems mixing single and double base powders, or whatever)...

I think that it's a pretty good rule to leave the mixing of powders to the manufacturers...

I don't even mix different lots of the same powder from the same manufacturer, for some of the reasons mentioned above...

Forrest

DYNOMIKE
January 21, 2007, 17:32
I have Never Mixed Powders and don't see any reason why I ever would?
Just seems too darn risky to me, as I can see ONLY potential Probs with no benefits.

hagar
January 21, 2007, 17:42
RL15 and Varget once by mistake. I poured half the contends in my Lee powder measure full of RL15 into an almost full 8 lb Varget jug. Was I going to scrap 8 pounds of Varget? Hell no! It shot just fine.

shootist87122
January 21, 2007, 20:16
Yes - also by accident and it became expensive fertilizer for my grass. Fortunately I only bought 1 Lb cans in those days.

fire for effect
January 27, 2007, 10:45
Don't do it!!!

fastprofessor
January 27, 2007, 11:02
No.

tommygun2000
January 31, 2007, 16:12
Well, I think you've posted the question on more than one board and got the majority of the same answers. I may be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.

No responsible reloader in their right mind is going to tell you its ok to do, or that its a good idea, nor will any reloading instruction manual, as they specifically warn against it with more than good reason.

If you insist on not taking the advice of knowledgeable reloaders and the warnings set out in the manuals, and the only thing driving you to do it is your laziness in working up loads then you deserve whatever consequences you encounter.

Such lack of discipline, stubborness and laziness is what gets people hurt and killed and you are right on course for disater in your reloading ventures.

Your lesson will be hard learned and I can only hope that you do not injure or kill an innocent bystander if and when your rifle explodes in your face and you are carried away on a stretcher. Hopefully you will live long enough to be able to call yourself a stupid ******* asshole for not heeding the advice that you were given time and again.

I don't care what the mods think of this post...you are an ass and you shouldn't be in the same room with a reloading press.

Stranger
January 31, 2007, 17:56
Originally posted by tommygun2000

Such lack of discipline, stubborness and laziness is what gets people hurt and killed and you are right on course for disater in your reloading ventures.

Your lesson will be hard learned and I can only hope that you do not injure or kill an innocent bystander if and when your rifle explodes in your face and you are carried away on a stretcher. Hopefully you will live long enough to be able to call yourself a stupid ******* asshole for not heeding the advice that you were given time and again.

I don't care what the mods think of this post...you are an ass and you shouldn't be in the same room with a reloading press.

Don't hold back, tell him how you really feel. :rolleyes:

tommygun2000
January 31, 2007, 21:50
Originally posted by Stranger

Don't hold back, tell him how you really feel. :rolleyes:

Well....Phuck me....I don't want chiseled on my headstone "Here lies XXXXX killed by some stupid dufus who mixed powders and blew his rifle up after being warned a hundred times not to do it."

Would you want to be shooting next to someone that irresponsible? How about your wife or kids? People like that frost my ass. You know he's going to do it anyway but not without a well deserved asschewing beforehand.

If I'm going to catch a round or schrapnel, its going to be in mutual combat where at least I can shoot back, not from some hardheaded numbnuts who feels like taking chances at others expense. There's enough knitwits with bad habits on ranges as it is without adding that type hazard to the mix.

Stranger
January 31, 2007, 22:20

Well....Phuck me....I don't want chiseled on my headstone "Here lies XXXXX killed by some stupid dufus who mixed powders and blew his rifle up after being warned a hundred times not to do it."

Would you want to be shooting next to someone that irresponsible? How about your wife or kids? People like that frost my ass. You know he's going to do it anyway but not without a well deserved asschewing beforehand.

If I'm going to catch a round or schrapnel, its going to be in mutual combat where at least I can shoot back, not from some hardheaded numbnuts who feels like taking chances at others expense. There's enough knitwits with bad habits on ranges as it is without adding that type hazard to the mix.

You need to calm down and step away from the keyboard, my friend. There are more enlightened way to go about telling a person of their mistake.

While I cannot brag about my past posting history (sorry about that Splat), it is much easier to disagree in a more gentlemanly fashion. You catch more flies with honey. Subtlety can also be more venemous. :wink:

All of our benches at the range are a good 10' apart, as are most I have been at. If a person has an accident bad enough that it affects me they aren't going to be alive to know about my displeasure. I am more likely to be stung to death by bees while simultaneously struck by lightining driving an SUV than to be killed in such a manner.

But whatever floats your paranoid boat. :?

Besides heavy artillery I have not ever heard of bystanders being hurt by a bad load in a semi-auto rifle. Do you have documentation otherwise?

bausch
January 31, 2007, 22:21
Why? Anyway the only thing I mix is drinks

instr8
February 01, 2007, 09:05
Lets take this to Dumping Brass, whatta ya say.....

Tommygun2000,

You are a fvcking prick. You seem to like to belittle others by talking down to them. I've noticed that on several other threads over on arfcom. Yes, I posted that there and I took your shit because that forum is full of sniveling shit suckers like you. If you had any idea how to reload,or any skill at it, you would have simply said "don't do it" and moved on, but no, you have to belittle me in some tirade to bolster your ego.

What I should have taken the time to make clear is that I have a 60lb lot of surplus powder that I pulled down from the same caliber cartridges and the differences are very slight and probably just a lot to lot variation. I plainly stated I do not to mix canister propellants. I have used pulldown propellants for years and I seperate by powder types, but sometimes some gets mixed together or if the density and thrown weights are very close, I will mix it. I simply asked if anyone else had done had done this. Is it a bad idea in general with two different canister powders, of course it is. And I said so.

It's really too bad that you are on the falfiles, this board is lessened because of you being here. So rock-on with your bad self. I Promise not to get the lane beside you if we meet at a range someday. Not for fear of sending shrapnel your way, but because I might not be able to avoid the temptation of stomping your nilly ass.

tommygun2000
February 02, 2007, 12:04
Mix away....it'll catch up to you, likely sooner than later. Just remember you were warned.

ftierson
February 02, 2007, 12:27
Mix away....it'll catch up to you, likely sooner than later. Just remember you were warned.

Actually, he wasn't just warned by you...

He was stomped on...

I'm assuming that you know the difference...

Perhaps I'm wrong..

Forrest