PDA

View Full Version : AK and K-Gunkote ?

Regal Beagal
January 20, 2007, 14:29
Well, I finally got all the kinks ironed out of my Polish AK. Now she is quite reliable and accurate. So now that I have all the metal work done I was planning on shooting her with K-Gunkote's dark grey finish, which I've used on FALs and custom mauser builds but never on an AK47. Just wondering if the curing at 325 degrees for an hour will cause any problems, especially with the stamped receiver. I know that the Russians and other ex-eastern block countries painted their AKs but I didn't know if they actually cured the enamal paint they use, considering that denatured alcohol actually stripped the paint off of one of my Romanian AKs. :eek:

NoNotAgain
January 20, 2007, 14:43
Gunkote flat black is a match for a Polish under folder black. Lightly burnish the receiver when cured with 4 ought steel wool after cure.

I had a premo kit that the only thing I painted was the receiver and trigger guard. I then assembled the kit using a mix of AK-builder and Wolfsburg Bob rivets.

325 has not hurt any of the ones tha I have done.

Satin black is good for the Yugo kits.

TheOtherChris
January 22, 2007, 14:28
Originally posted by NoNotAgain
Gunkote flat black is a match for a Polish under folder black. Lightly burnish the receiver when cured with 4 ought steel wool after cure.

325 has not hurt any of the ones tha I have done.

+1.
325F in the wife's oven worked out very nicely.
I use flat black also, but I oil it with a rag afterwards and it made for a very close match to the existing finish on a Polish kit.

Of course I only baked the barreled receiver and not the folding ass'y with associated springs.

Regal Beagal
January 26, 2007, 12:04
Man, I didn't think about the springs in the folding stock assembly. So, TheOtherChris -what finish did you use on the folding stock assembly?
I've got some alumihyde II in flat black but I know from past exeperience that the K-gunkote flat black and the alumihyde don't quite match up. RB

TheOtherChris
January 29, 2007, 11:41
Originally posted by Regal Beagal
Man, I didn't think about the springs in the folding stock assembly. So, TheOtherChris -what finish did you use on the folding stock assembly?
I've got some alumihyde II in flat black but I know from past exeperience that the K-gunkote flat black and the alumihyde don't quite match up. RB

I used flat black GunKote and assembled the folding stock ass'y AFTER curing the finish.
After wiping everything down with an oiled rag, it looked great.

Edited to add: These kits were excellent finish, so I DID NOT refinish the parts.
I only used GunKote on the receivers, as they were bent from flats.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/TheOtherChris/PolishAKMSfolded.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/TheOtherChris/PolishAKMSOpen.jpg

jugrunner
January 29, 2007, 11:45
Very Very Nice indeed !! ... Gunkote rules ... Great job ... Wanna do a couple for me ?

I have cash and trade goods ... :D