PDA

View Full Version : Romanian AK barrels.....Who Made 'em???

Yellow Bird Deer
January 20, 2007, 01:49
Anyone know where the Romanians sourced their barrels?
I've read the Bulgarians have Steyr hammer forged barrels and have wondered if the Romanians do as well.

bykerhd
January 20, 2007, 08:39
No idea who made them, but they are chrome lined and most found now will be like new. For the price a complete kit goes for, it's hard to ask for much more.

Yellow Bird Deer
January 26, 2007, 00:36
btt

Kyrottimus
February 01, 2007, 16:44
From what I've heard, Romania make their own. When the USSR had their hand up Romania's puppet bottom, they installed quite a bit of tooling to crank out AK's, that's why Romy AKM's are almost identical to the Ukrainian and Russian ones.

I've also heard that Poland and Hungary (and Yugoslavia) all made/make their own barrels.

CAR
February 11, 2007, 07:54
As for Bulgaria, their barrels were not made by Steyr in Austria. The Bulgarian barrels are produced in Bulgaria on Steyr hammer forge machinery.

ftierson
February 11, 2007, 12:51
Originally posted by bykerhd
No idea who made them, but they are chrome lined and most found now will be like new. For the price a complete kit goes for, it's hard to ask for much more.

Exactly...

In my experience, the Bulgarian and Romanian barrels are top notch...

Get them while the getting's still good...

Forrest

JohnnyReb
February 12, 2007, 15:57
The 3 Romy G's I got from Bocefus are so sharp and new that they unscrew the loop off the end of my cleaning rod! :eek:

jim west
February 12, 2007, 16:02
Read this thread. All my stuff is from Cugir, 1978 or earlier. Jim

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=110097
The AK Files Forums - What kind of Norinco is this? Better then a SAR or WASR?

quicksand
February 12, 2007, 18:06
The barrels are great, but I wonder if they ever produced a rifle with a straight front site.