PDA

View Full Version : Installing an E. German wire side folder on a Romanian WASR 10

WiFAL
January 16, 2007, 10:21
Is it easy to do? So easy that even I, a non-gunsmith can do it? I got that impression from a similar post on AK47.net but would like verification. It seems that it's a simple change out of the wood stock for the wire folder with no modifiacations to the receiver.

gunplumber
January 16, 2007, 10:54
there are three different wire folders that I have seen identified as either Romy, E german or bulg.

the one I am pretty sure is uniquly bulgarian is a pain in the ass - it is retained int he front with the pistol grip stud, and while not complicated in theory, in practice, it cvan be frustrating to get everything lined up.

IN the romy/east german there is a push button and a lever. They both install the same way, no hassels, just slide in and secure to the tang. The lever one, however, that I just put on a posty wasr machinegun, needed three small washers to fill the gap on the rear tang.

Para Driver
January 16, 2007, 17:02
it needs 2 wierd metric screws, just a RCH bigger than a 10-28 to link the tang to the folder.. perhaps 4mm... if you figure it out, send me a couple??

gunplumber
January 16, 2007, 19:02
I picked them up from home depot, no big deal. have to shorten the rear one a tad

rochte
January 16, 2007, 19:49
"the one I am pretty sure is uniquly bulgarian is a pain in the ass - it is retained int he front with the pistol grip stud"

I was under the impression that this was the East German variety... Might be wrong, though.

gunplumber
January 16, 2007, 19:52
Originally posted by rochte
"the one I am pretty sure is uniquly bulgarian is a pain in the ass - it is retained int he front with the pistol grip stud"

I was under the impression that this was the East German variety... Might be wrong, though.

or maybe both use the same model?

WiFAL
January 28, 2007, 12:43
I did some more looking on the net. The East German is the pain in the butt install. I got the Romanian and it fit like a glove.

I was surprised how tight the wood stock fits the receiver. Mine was jammed in there so hard that I doubt it needed screws to attach it to the trunion. The side folder jumped right in. Three taps with a mallet set it tight. I got the lever style release and tell you the truth it works a lot nicer than my Rhodesian para FAL.

ftierson
January 28, 2007, 17:23
Both the EG MPiKS-72 sidefolder and the Romanian lever sidefolder are great stocks...

Both just plug into any receiver having a standard rear trunion...

The Romanian is retained by two metric bolts (5mm, if I'm remembering correctly. I picked them up at ACE hardware because they had black ones and not cadmium plated ones. As GP mentioned, I had to cut them to length...).

The EG MPiKS-72 sidefolder is retained by one bolt (the rear one in the trunion)...

Most of the EG sidefolders that I have seen came with the bolt. Most of the Romanian sidefolders came with no bolts...

Personally, I prefer the look of the EG MPiKS-72 sidefolder because the wire stock is straighter, with less of a 'bend' than the Romanian ones. I just prefer the straighter to the more 'bent' one. It's simply a matter of personal preference...

In addition, the EG MPiKS-72 sidefolder, because it has a metal 'box' that slips on the folding stock base unit, sometimes runs into problems when the HG nut is installed. Some HG nuts are wider than others. The narrow ones will fit right though the slot in the folding stock extension, but the wider ones will not and will require some slimming...

The Romanian lever folding stock is the easiest sidefolder to install...

Both are great stocks...

Forrest

Dave R
February 05, 2007, 16:28
Yes, its that easy to install. Two screws. Your folder may even come with screws. Mine did.