PDA

View Full Version : question about reloading

RT
January 11, 2007, 14:09
i want to get into reloading, and i want a rockchucker press. were can i get 1 and what should i pay? also should i put a wtb in the MP.? if someone moves up to a better press i could buy there used 1. what do ya'll think~R

Muggzy
January 11, 2007, 14:18
I started out with and still use the Rockchucker press. I purchased a combo unit
press, beam scales, powder funnel...I forget what else. Then added to it little by little. You can upgrade to another press but IMHO it is a good way to start
out. Midway, Wideners...places like that have sales every once in a while.

I still use the same press I started out with 30 years ago. I added a digital scale and a powder charger ( RCBS) and few other little things digital calipers,
brass trimmer.

Good way to go, Richard

here is Midways deal http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?TabID=2&category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=Rockchucker&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=10&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=10

Wideners is less expensive http://www.wideners.com/mfgview.cfm?startrow=97&mfgsearch=32&item_number=

if'n ya do an internet search you'll probaly find one of the combo deals and or
better prices

legion489
January 11, 2007, 14:53
The RCBS Rockchucker Press is made in China now, and painted in America. There was just an article on that in one of the shooting mags (Precision Shooting?) so it isn't any giant secret. I'd go for the Lee Cast Classic press, at least it is made in America (as far as I know, at least for now) and everyone who has one loves it. Of course everyone who has a RC loves it too, but I try to buy American when possible.

Para Driver
January 11, 2007, 15:02
depends on what you want to load.. don't overlook the Dillon 550B, for anything in the pistol or light rifle (30-06 and under) sizes.. yes you'll spend more up front, but that will pay off in the long run..

GSF1200
January 11, 2007, 15:38
I'd go for the Lee Cast Classic press

Ditto, and it can be used for 50 BMG

akajun
January 11, 2007, 17:39
Originally posted by legion489
The RCBS Rockchucker Press is made in China now, and painted in America. There was just an article on that in one of the shooting mags (Precision Shooting?) so it isn't any giant secret. I'd go for the Lee Cast Classic press, at least it is made in America (as far as I know, at least for now) and everyone who has one loves it. Of course everyone who has a RC loves it too, but I try to buy American when possible.

You are close, the Rockchucker base is cast in china, then bored, machined, assembled and painted in USA. I have seen many of the china cast ones and seen them in use and they are still #1 in my opinion. Plus RCBS has a lifetime warranty and is very cs oriented. I dont know about lee, there dies are ok but their presses look a little flimsy to me.

DJ
January 11, 2007, 18:02
You can't go wrong with the Rockchucker. I'm reloading on one now that I've had for 20+ years, and before I got it my uncle reloaded on it for quite a few years. Don't forget to check out EBay. I think there may be some Rockchuckers on Ebay now.
I agree with Para Driver on the 550B. I have one and I'm impressed with it.
Used Rockchuckers run anywhere from 55-60 bucks on up. I'm always looking for another one and can't find one any cheaper than that.

English Mike
January 11, 2007, 18:47
Natchez has the Rockchucker Supreme Master reloading kit for $224.95

Here (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC09357&src=ba207&src=ba207)

Greensborobob
January 12, 2007, 18:50
PM sent.

DarkEarth
January 12, 2007, 21:25
Originally posted by akajun

Plus RCBS has a lifetime warranty and is very cs oriented.

Does the "cs" in this sentence stand for "Communist Supplier"?:tongue:

squid8286
January 14, 2007, 21:42
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE
Natchez has the Rockchucker Supreme Master reloading kit for $224.95

Here (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC09357&src=ba207&src=ba207)

I just ordered one of these less than a half hour ago. Needless to say, I am gonna have a lot of questions for folks in this section in the future.

akajun
January 15, 2007, 21:49
Originally posted by DarkEarth

Does the "cs" in this sentence stand for "Communist Supplier"?:tongue:

No it stands for Continually Shooting:aug:

akajun
January 15, 2007, 21:52
Squid, Buy the books The ABC's of Reloading, and The Lyman Handbook of Metallic Cartridge Reloading, two of the best books for beginers and experts. Might want to buy a years subscription to Handloader magazine too.

Clark
January 19, 2007, 09:14
I started out with a Rockchucker kit 9 years ago.

The powder measure, I still use it
The de-burr tool, I still use it
The scale, I still use it.

The Rockchucker press is good, Forster Co-ax press replacement
The primer pocket cleaner is no good, Lee or Crockogator replacement
The the case trimmer is no good, Wilson or Forster replacement
The lube is Glycerin, which is ok, Redding Imperial Die Wax replacement
The lube pad is ok, my fingers are the replacement
The funnel is ok, MTM replacement
The Allen Wrench tool set has gone to the shop, and is in my tool box
The primer tray melted when near a lamp
The priming tool did not come with mine 9 years ago.
The Speer loading book is shit, Quickload program replacement