PDA

View Full Version : Posible to down load ammo??

bamaboy
January 04, 2007, 08:51
First let me state that I'm not a re loader, yet. I have in idea to down load some surplus 7.62x51 and also some .308 hunting ammo. I have just recently acquired a Lee hand loader (the one that loads one rnd at a time) and I also have a Midway kinetic bullet puller. I'd like to make some reduced power loads for my 1916 Guardia and FR7s by taking out a little powder and then re-seating the bullets. Am I crazy or is this a feasible idea? :?

gordo63
January 04, 2007, 08:58
Before you do anything, be sure to have a reputable reloading manual (Lyman, Sierra, etc.) that gives you the tested powder ranges for each bullet weight. DO NOT go below the minimum charge weights for a given powder type.

You will also need to verify (not guess) what type of powder is in the loads you are working with so that you'll know what powder data to use from the reloading manual.

You didn't mention having a set of reloading scales but you'll need them to make the measurements.

Without the above, doing what you described would be putting yourself, and anyone around you, at risk.

daschnoz
January 04, 2007, 09:01
It's do-able, I'm just not sure how safe it is. The minimum loads that are listed in reload manuals are there to make sure the bullet leaves the barrel when you pull the trigger. Also, I think there are some issues with the physical volume taken up by the powder. If there is too little case volume taken up by powder, there can be some unsafe results as well. I don't understand it 100% either, so I stay in the powder charge range given in the loading manuals.

Maybe some one else can explain the 2nd issue in greater detail.

MAINER
January 04, 2007, 09:12
Reduced loads are entirely doable. However in your case I would say it's a bad idea. Some rifle powders (pistol also) are not meant to used in reduced loads. They depend on a minimum load density and pressure level. Reduced loads with some powders can lead to erratic and dangerous pressure levels. Accuracy sucks also.

I'd recommend a good manual, such as Lymans #18 and use whatever powder they recommend to load at the pressure and velocity level you want. Usually the "starting load" would be best.

akajun
January 09, 2007, 23:22
I agree, some powders are unsafe in reduced loads such as win 291 which is a pistol powder, you can pull the bullets and re use the case and bullet but use new powder with a publish load.

Contrary to popular belief you can damage a gun with too light a load, ie bullet stuck in bore, improperly expanded brass not sealing the chamber causing gas leakage, backed out primers etc.

win308
January 10, 2007, 21:59
Since it is surplus ammo, it really doesn't matter what the reloading manual has to say. There is no way you will know what powder was used by a gov't arsenal to make their ammo, and even US military ammo uses powder with different lot numbers and different burn rates compared to similar retail powder.

So, pull 10 bullets and dump all powder, from all 10, in a scale and weigh. Take that weight and divide by 10 to get the AVERAGE weight of the powder charge for your ammo.

Let's say that the average number works out to be 44 grains per round. If you reduce the load by 10 %, you subtract 4.4 grains = and get 39.6 grains for your reduced load. I would hesitate to reduce the load more than 10 %.

Resize the neck only, dump in 39.6 ~ 40 grains, (using our pretend example above) re-seat the bullet and give it a try.

Examine each fired case carefully for any over pressure. With only a 10% variance, I don't think you will have any problems......BUT...pay attention. If anything seems strange, stop the test.

By the way, stick gun powder used for .308 loads (looks like tiny piecies of pencil lead) is way more forgiving on varing the charge weights than ball powder (looks like tiny little black bee- bees).

W.E.G.
January 10, 2007, 22:04
Check it out. I just downloaded a whole case!

Oh...you meant something else. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1737346

newfalguy101
January 10, 2007, 22:34
win308 beat me to it.

I would follow his suggestion exactly were I doing what you are talking about.