PDA

View Full Version : Snowstorm Bah-Humbug(Duck hunting)

mribley
December 21, 2006, 11:44
When the weather forcast said: "SNOW", I said "Duck hunting"

I left Denver yesterday morning at 5 AM. Snowing lightly. I then drove out to Ft. Morgan, Colo. on the Platte River. I was set up at 6:45 AM. The snow was blowing sideways, the temp was about 29 degrees.

The ducks were flying great. I knew it would be a good day. So I decided to wait and ONLY shoot Drake Mallards. The beauty was I only had to take easy shots. So I could consentrate on only shooting one time at each bird.

I had my limit by 10:00, picked up the rig 15 decoys. there was about 5-6" of snow on the ground. Being out in the country I test fired my new .308 load.
43.5 gr of 2230 data powder, Rem 9.5 primers, Fed cases. 147 gr pulled bullets.
After emptying 2 mags, w/out any problems, packed up and drove home.

The roads were OK till I got to the Denver metro area, the 2 wheel drive cars couldn't drive to well.

Arrived home at 2:00 after a wonderful day of hunting.
MJR

ftierson
December 21, 2006, 14:48
Colorado Springs hasn't fared quite as well...

Everything shut down yesterday and today...

If ducks had been moving around down here, they would have been walking on the ground to avoid ending up in another state. Of course, even ducks would have had problems walking through the seven foot deep snow drifts...

Glad to hear that your duck hunting expedition worked out well...

:)

Forrest

jerrymrc
December 21, 2006, 15:47
I will say that this was the first time with the dry snow and the force of the winds that my front porch and driveway are not covered in snow.

Now it did blow the lighted deer down and the backyard has about a 3-1/2' drift up against the fence but all in all not bad.

thunderchicken
December 21, 2006, 18:14
Sounds like a good day. There is nothing on this planet more important than duck hunting. All other hunting, except turkey hunting, is just looking, walking and shooting.

Blaster
December 21, 2006, 21:32
Originally posted by mribley
The roads were OK till I got to the Denver metro area, the 2 wheel drive cars couldn't drive to well.
Arrived home at 2:00 after a wonderful day of hunting.
MJR

Your timing was perfect. Just a few hours later, and you'd have had a "little" problem with the drive in DVR. Happy Holidays. Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Survey Punk
December 22, 2006, 08:30
You guys have all the luck. Just mention s**w down here and everybody shuts down.
Must be time for our annual "blizzard" though. The DOT has been busy replacing the reflectors on the highway centerlines. Every year: replace reflectors, 1" of s**w, graders come and scrape the s**w off (leaving a sheet of ice and scraping off the new reflectors in the process). For 6 months driving at night reminds you of that scene in Star Trek where they hit Hyper Space, or whatever it was. Reflectors everywhere!
Hope you'uns have a good Christmas.

JB

Oh, we have ducks too. Saw a couple of Redheads yesterday heading south. They were wearing sunglasses.