PDA

View Full Version : Radway Brass-Learned sumpin

owlcreekok
December 12, 2006, 22:46
Unless I am wrong, .308 with a headstamp of 'RG' is Radway Green. Correct me if this is wrong.

I broke the first decapping pin in years tonight on a RG case. I was sure the stuff was boxer. Sure enough. One hole, centered. I tossed the case, changed the pin, figuring it was a bent pin maybe. (not likely, but oh well) Back to sizing a lot that was supposed to be all civilian stuff. Did it again about 75 cases later. This time the decapping pin stuck in the RG flash hole and pulled out of the collett of the die. I had a heckuva time beating that pin out. Upon close inspection I note that the RG flash holes are a lot smaller than the FC, RP, Hornady and Lake City stuff I have. I watched closer the rest of the session.

So, if any of you scroungers are saving RG brass because it is boxer, ya might want to watch for this.

aardq
December 12, 2006, 22:58
Thanks for the heads up Owl. I'll have to check my RG 223 cases to see if those holes are also undersized.

Dan

shootist87122
December 12, 2006, 23:30
Can they be opened up with a primer pocket uniformer? Failing that, I guess they could be drilled.

BUFF
December 13, 2006, 01:46
Probably easier to thin down a decapping pin.

owlcreekok
December 13, 2006, 06:55
I haven't had the first problem on RG .223 cases. That didn't occur to me last night, how about that !

If I end up with more than a handful of .308 Radways, I will decap them with a hammer and a pin punch. Then go on them with a drill, chase them out to a tolerable size. If only a dozen or so, they will make candidates for dummy rounds.

DYNOMIKE
December 13, 2006, 07:34
Originally posted by owlcreekok
will make candidates for dummy rounds.

That would be fitting...:uhoh: :biggrin:

I would just drillem Hootie.. Can't need much removed I would think..
I have a Flash hole deburing tool from Sinclair and a Reamer that would prolly work.

owlcreekok
December 13, 2006, 09:13
I will be surprised if I find more than a half dozen in all the brass I have, if THAT many. I just finished prepping all my civilian .308 stuff. The trimmer took a decent cut off 99% of the stuff. I started on the Lake City Match stuff in earnest this morning before 0700. Seems it is inherently shorter than the civilian brass. Suits me, processes faster. Glad to be working on grownup brass again. That piddly azz .223 stuff just about wore my patience out.

English Mike
December 13, 2006, 15:07
What's the date on it?

Some early '90s RG was actually manufactured by Hirt.

owlcreekok
December 13, 2006, 15:13
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE
What's the date on it?

Some early '90s RG was actually manufactured by Hirt.

Old Sarge
December 13, 2006, 15:31
Ran in to the same issue with some S&B 5.56mm brass years back. Just tossed it as it was range pickup brass. Was able to stop it by backing the decaper off to where it was just pushing them primer out.

Old Sarge