PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Response Systems-DVD-Book

owlcreekok
December 11, 2006, 14:54
I have had the new production DVD and workbook for a few days now. Finally have watched the DVD's and went through the book. As an owner of the older set, I can say, "WOW,, Much improved version". Just the fact that the video is on DVD is a great leap forward. The audio and video is crisp. The book, while it does not lay flat like the three ring one does, I personally like this. I keeps me from laying it on the bench and screwing it up royally.

There are places where a little more detail would be nice, from the standpoint as if I had never "been there-done that". I can see where a complete beginner will be a bit fuzzy on some things at first. Watching the entire production, reading the workbook and some hands on your own rifle, all will come together.

I learned a large amount about the variants of the FN FAL weapons in watching this video. Sure, I had read much here on the FalFiles about them, but there is nothing like seeing it. Very informative as well as entertaining for the enthusiast.

The troubleshooting section is just great. This will get some play time. (re-runs)

Test firing. Well done. Addressing what point of impact constitutes a timing problem is a nice touch. I missed that the first time through. Sure wish I had that bit of info a few months ago. Lolol. I would go into some more detail on this section of the video, but I won't. Suffice to say is was just way cool to see the venerable FAL doing the "Happy Dance". :biggrin:

The background music is well chosen, nice touch.

The workbook is chock full of useful information. Specs, suppliers, etc. Invaluable to the "Level One" user as well as a professional, machinist, whatever. Back to the binding format. I would like to have certain pages to have at the bench. I shall ask Gunplumber for express permission to copy a few for lamination and benchtop usage.

The review wouldn't be complete without a plug for the cover artist. Really looks nice. (as does the artist,,,,, :love: )

Bad stuff:

Not much here. One of my DVD players will not play the Part II disc. My PC with the DVD drive plays it, but no audio. These might BOTH be hardware problems on my end. Likely.

I give this work a resounding TEN score. I have assembled a few FALS and have said a few times, "It ain't rocket surgery". Still, I highly recommend the purchase of Mr. Graham's production.

Thank You, Mr. Graham and Arizona Response Systems for a great tool for our hobby.

:bow:

GW870
December 11, 2006, 17:16
Hey, Owl.
I had a play problem with disc #2 also. To his credit, Mark never hesitated
before telling me to send it back for a replacement.

This is gonna be a great set for novice builders like me. I was enjoying the
workbook 'til you said what you did - now I agree with you. I woulda' paid
a bit extra for a three ring format. Oh,well.
The dvd is great though. It is so much easier to menu a specific section than
hunting through a tape. I can see me watching this thing several more times
than once. Thank you, GP!

GW

BTW, GP, what'd you smack your left thumb with?

AzDak
December 12, 2006, 17:24
I bought both at the SAR show and I have to say it gets two thumbs up. The rundown between the versions including the walkthrough on the cutout was really helpful.

My only real complaint is the lack of bikini clad strippers shooting the FA Para FAL. But you can't have everything...

gunplumber
December 13, 2006, 10:35
Originally posted by GW870

BTW, GP, what'd you smack your left thumb with?

Its black paint (an no, I'm not going Goth!)

It comes off my skin easy enough with Acetone, but it binds to the nails much more agressively.

GOVT1911
December 18, 2006, 05:39
Mark, ARS website shows the video/workbook for $60, but it lists it as VHS. If I order it from the website, will I get the new DVD?

gunplumber
December 18, 2006, 20:46
Originally posted by GOVT1911
Mark, ARS website shows the video/workbook for $60, but it lists it as VHS. If I order it from the website, will I get the new DVD?

yes, DVD only - there are no more VHS, and I'll get that changed on the website shortly;

Abominog
December 19, 2006, 11:48
Background music?

I might have to buy it just to catch that!