PDA

View Full Version : Reloading bench height

dwarmbrodt
November 27, 2006, 16:36
Before I build my bench I need to ask, do you guys stand or sit when reloading small quanities of ammo? Depending on your answer, what is optimum height of the bench in regards to ergonomics?

MAINER
November 27, 2006, 19:33
Depends on your height. What works for me is "belt buckle" to floor. I guess I half sit-half stand, so I use a tall stool. Always getting something from the shelf or cupboard so I'm up and down a lot. A tall bench gives manuvering room and leverage if you need it. Just measured my bench at 39". Good height for me and I'm not tall at 5'11".

Good luck with your bench.

newfalguy101
November 27, 2006, 20:10
I sit at the old steel office desk I use for reloading.

29 inches high

honestly though, I wish it were about 3 inches taller.

bykerhd
November 27, 2006, 20:19
Mine is built out of a couple old kitchen base cabinets with 2 1/4" of plywood for a top. It's a little short for reloading, but about right for a work bench.
I should have built it a bit taller.

dwarmbrodt
November 27, 2006, 20:25
Thanks, this does help. I should have said I am 6'....... Standing height with a bar stool if needed is the way I'm gonna go. I fear if I sit I may get too comfortable and loose focus on the task at hand.

ftierson
November 27, 2006, 20:44
After fiddling around with makeshift benches for a few years, I finally built one from the ground up just for reloading...

The top is 28 inches deep and it's 8 feet long, and the top surface is at 38 inches above the floor.

I do all my reloading standing up...

I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall...

This bench has worked out really well...

For what it's worth...

Forrest

brownknees
November 27, 2006, 20:46
In order asked.
Standing. When I tried sitting down I got up so many times I just gave up & started doing everything standing up.

I set the height to be just lower than my elbows, with the lower arm extended & the upper just hanging down.
For me that's 39".

fire for effect
December 09, 2006, 07:28
If you are building a work bench that you will stand at, the beast measure for height is from your elbow to the ground. I have built many benches over the years, for many different people, and this has always worked out to be the best method for everyone .

You are right about a tall bench in that you can either stand or use a bar stool to sit.

Here are pictures of my Benches. They are thirty inches in height.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/fire_for_effect/ReloadingBench007.jpg http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/fire_for_effect/ReloadingBench008.jpg http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/fire_for_effect/BulletSwagingBench009.jpg

Random Chaos
December 09, 2006, 08:06
Originally posted by fire for effect
If you are building a work bench that you will stand at, the beast measure for height is from your elbow to the ground. I have built many benches over the years, for many different people, and this has always worked out to be the best method for everyone .

You are right about a tall bench in that you can either stand or use a bar stool to sit.

Here are pictures of my Benches. They are thirty inches in height.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/fire_for_effect/ReloadingBench007.jpg http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/fire_for_effect/ReloadingBench008.jpg http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/fire_for_effect/BulletSwagingBench009.jpg

That's a nice set-up you have there, I'm envious!!! Also I never would have thought of measuring from my elbow to the floor as a guide for the height of the bench but it makes sense.

jwaters
December 09, 2006, 09:42
I stand.

38-40 Inches seems right. I built "risers" kinda like the Dillon Stong Mounts now that I have to load in the garage and can't use my old loading bench setup (which was proper height).

JW

W.E.G.
December 09, 2006, 09:51
Stand, because you will need your body weight to resize some cases, and you will want to use your leg muscles to get compound leverage to extract the sized case from the die.

Also build a stool of appropriate height to sit on while throwing powder charges and seating bullets.

newfalguy101
December 09, 2006, 10:33
beautiful set-up fire for effect

it looks like you have quite a bit of room ( yea I Know, its NEVER enough :D )

ggiilliiee
December 09, 2006, 14:15
aw ya cant fool me FFE ...thats off the TREMORS movie ...rebas basement ......
seriously ....what a nice well ordered set up ..YOUR HIRED ..he he ..a clean shop IS a happy shop ....still got the ball on the dillon handle ..got the tee bar on mine as the ball gave hurendous blisters after 500 .45s ....even on my leathered hands ..you have the same problem .......???

ftierson
December 09, 2006, 14:22
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
aw ya cant fool me FFE ...thats off the TREMORS movie ...rebas basement ......
seriously ....what a nice well ordered set up ..YOUR HIRED ..he he ..a clean shop IS a happy shop ....still got the ball on the dillon handle ..got the tee bar on mine as the ball gave hurendous blisters after 500 .45s ....even on my leathered hands ..you have the same problem .......???

Interestingly enough, I replaced the original straight handle on my RCBS Rockchucker (which gave me awful blisters) with their black ball one as soon as the ball ones came out.

I've never had problems with blisters from the balls (and I have the Rockchucker and two Lyman Orange Crusher/Crusher II presses with the balls)...

And that's even with thousands of ram movements per setting...

I like the balls...

Sorry for the digression/hijack...

Back to bench height...

Forrest

jerrymrc
December 09, 2006, 17:13
I like the balls... TMI! TMI!

This a good time for this since I am about to replace mine. The old 3/4" particle board has given up the ghost.:biggrin:

bykerhd
December 09, 2006, 17:16
I went to ball handles on my Rockchuckers as well. Much more comfortable than the old straight handle with the cheapo plastic bicycle grip.

dwarmbrodt
December 09, 2006, 19:25
Wow guys, thanks for the info! I should have also asked what is the best bench surface material to use. Also, from the pics posted, white or close to it is the color of choice.

fire for effect
December 23, 2006, 18:08
Originally posted by dwarmbrodt
Wow guys, thanks for the info! I should have also asked what is the best bench surface material to use. Also, from the pics posted, white or close to it is the color of choice.

I used MDF. Medium Density Fiberboard, 3/4" thick and then doubled, to make it 1 1/2 " total thickness. The MDF is then sealed with a water based polyurethane finish. I like a light color, it brightens the room and makes everything easier to see.

FTW2012
December 23, 2006, 19:56
From a carpenter's point of view, standard heights are 36" for counters such as your kitchen has, is that a good place for you to work?
Service counters are 42" high, you can stand there or use a high stool, like a bar stool type.
Now if you are extra tall or short and this is custom for your ease, adjust accordingly, note that typical chairs are 19" from floor to seat
If you really want a tylor made bench; measure the distance from your belt to the floor that is where the bench top should come to.

See if this helps;

http://www.rona.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentServlet?assetId=326&langId=-1

jerrymrc
December 23, 2006, 19:57
Originally posted by fire for effect

I used MDF. Medium Density Fiberboard, 3/4" thick and then doubled, to make it 1 1/2 " total thickness. The MDF is then sealed with a water based polyurethane finish. I like a light color, it brightens the room and makes everything easier to see.

Doubled MDF was going to be my choice also but then I ran across some 1-3/4 hardwood tops. It is 38" from the floor.

broncobisley1
December 23, 2006, 21:19
I custom built mine to 33&1/2"