PDA

View Full Version : who sells the stuff to cast your own bullets?

AP101
November 25, 2006, 21:40
molds and forge?---thanks

kycrawler
November 25, 2006, 21:59
midsouth shooters supply

lee 10 lb production pot is a pretty good deal , you will also need a small lee ladle to skim the junk off the pot lee molds are pretty decent for the price i cast every thing from 30 cal rifle to 38 ,44, 45 pistol bullets
muzzle loader conicals and balls and even 12 gauge slugs when you order buy an extra couple bottles of bullet lube

MAINER
November 27, 2006, 11:23
Don't know how much experience you have, but if you are new to casting, you should give it a long hard look. Not only are moulds and furnaces pricey these days, but availability of lead, tin, linotype, wheelweights is a lot scarcer than even a few years ago. There are excellent cast bullets available from many scorces these days. At $25 per 500, I don't do a lot of casting anymore.

You also need a "Lubersizer"

www.midway.com has casting equipment and cast bullets.

G'luck

kycrawler
November 27, 2006, 19:01
you dont have to have a luber sizer , i shoot most of my bullets as cast (not sized) with lee liquid alox tumble lube

i will second the materials are sometimes hard to find straight lead is about 65 cents a lb scrap price here

owlcreekok
November 28, 2006, 06:53
Put on your scrounger shoes. You can get wheelweight in quantity pretty cheap and pretty easy. (I have not had to pay much of anything for an ample supply for years) Go to a plumbing supply house and buy virgin lead. Mix the two 50-50 and you got great pistol bullets.

I have an extra Lyman 450 Lubri-sizer I would sell. Be advised, the lubri-sizing is a LOT more of a PITA than using the Lee tumble method. I am a crotchety bastage and won't do it. Yes, I tried it once. Seemd cheesy, so I quit it. It IS okay though.

I started with a 10# Lee. I moved to a 20# pot pretty soon after. Dropping 158 gr SWC's and 200-240 gr .45 slugs eats up a ten pounder FAST.

MAINER
November 28, 2006, 10:28
I agree with ya Owl. However, what I'm seeing for prices lately on raw material is scary. Anyone thinkin of castin their own these days should check out cheap and plentiful scources before investing a lot in equipment. All depends on your location an how good a scrounger you are. Part of the fun for me.

I enjoy casting when I got the time, but 500 lazercast bullets for $25 is too tempting to pass up sometimes. ;)

Temp
November 28, 2006, 10:55
I cast thousands upon thousands of very good bullets out of straight wheel weight alloy. Keep the melt at about 750 degrees and keep the mold on the hot side and you can get very nicely filled out bullets without adding anything.

To harden them, I'd drop them from the mold into a 5 gallon bucket of cold water when they were just barely cooled enough to form into a solid. This is known as "quench casting" and greatly adds to the hardness of a wheelweight alloy bullet.

A Lee bottom pour pot works very well for casting. I tried several brands of molds and came to prefer the offerings by RCBS because of how concentric they are. The RCBS lubesizer is also a very nice piece of work.

One additional advantage to using RCBS molds is that they make top punches for their seating dies which match the contour of the bullets cast from their molds.

Wheelweights aren't as easy to come by as they once were, but if you're diligent you'll find some. A 5 gallon bucket will hold about 110-120 lbs of wheelweights and I used to purchase that much for $15 to $20.

Bullet casting is a very interesting hobby.

Veral Smith, of LBT (lead bullet technologies) has written a very good book called "Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets".

Get one and read up on it.

Adventurer_96
November 28, 2006, 23:58
I recently came into some casting supplies, including the pot, some moulds, and I think some sizers. I also got about 1,000 unsized .45 200gr SWC cast bullets.

Is there a decent "how to" page that might help me identify the random pieces, and tell me how to handle the cast bullets I got?

owlcreekok
November 29, 2006, 06:27
Adventurer, the Lyman Reloading manual I have has a very nice section that covers casting bullets. Lyman also published a book devoted to casting bullets. These are my favorite guides.

Adventurer_96
November 30, 2006, 00:05
Thanks, that's a good point - I got several old manuals with the stuff as well, and I'm sure they have fairly good info in them.