PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 vs 650

Jon Frum
November 21, 2006, 19:41
What is the difference between the Dillon 550 vs 650 in .308 except $100?

River Pig
November 21, 2006, 20:00
Originally posted by WILD BILL
What is the difference between the Dillon 550 vs 650 in .308 except $100?
The 650 automatically indexes--i.e. the turret turns automatically rather than by hand. Also the 650 gives you an extra position. I use it for a Lee factory crimp which I think does a better job than the crimp on the bullet seating die.
Other than that, now that the 550 also offers case feeder, there really isn't much difference in advantages.

Indycar
November 21, 2006, 21:19
The RL550B has 4 stations (dies) #1 sizing/depriming/priming #2 case mouth belling/powder drop #3 bullet seating #4 crimping

Dillon says a 550 will do 500+ rounds per hour, which I have done

The XL650 has 5 stations (dies) #1 & #2 same as above #3 is a powder check station #4 bullet seating #5 crimp

Dillon says upto 1000 rounds per hour

Most people are happy with a RL550B, but if you shoot full auto, or beaucoup rounds per week the XL650 would be the one

Parts such as tool heads and caliber conversion kits are more expensive on the 650. The time to change calibers and shellplates is longer as the 650 is more complicated.

For 99% of us, the RL550B gets the job done and then some

shootist87122
November 22, 2006, 00:20
The 550 is simplier to operate, less likely to jam up and possibly a bit more robust. I have a 650 but do all my heavy duty resizing (big bore rifle) on a single stage press first. If you are doing high volume pistol the 650 is the way to go. For medium volume rifle, I'd vote for the 550. FWIW I don't crimp rifle (except for .223) but you do need a separate crimp die for pistol.

Jon Frum
November 22, 2006, 08:45
Thanks!

We just spent $900 on a new digital camera for Mrs. BILL for Christmas so I pretty much can get what I want.

I think the 550 will do fine and I will get a Rockchucker too.

What dies do I need to get for the 550?

The dies, conversion kits, tool plate deal is confusing in the catalog.

Looks like Dillon is going to get a nice order.

JohnnyV1966
November 22, 2006, 09:14
Dillon 550

It's a durable excellent progressive reloader that offers a great deal of versatility and smooth operation. While the 650 may be faster it is more expensive and you would have to be the one who has to weigh the additonal cost to the added benefits.

Standard Dies may be used although my experinence favors Dillon and Redding dies. They seem to work best, providing the smoothest operation. You will have to get the appropriate shell plates, buttons, tool heads, powder meaure, powder die with appropriate funnel / expander. If youve had a single stage it is definitely a reloaders dream.

FAL4EVER
November 26, 2006, 15:03
For load development the 550 is super operator friendly. You can go with one case and go through steps and repeat all steps easily because of the manual index.
Also for small batches -read: lot's of caliber changes- the 550 is perfect.
With quality (308) bullets I get a seating depth variation of max .002", most of them within .001", better than I can shoot.
The 650 is great for large quantities. I can spit out 100 rounds in 6 minutes.
If the 650 would have the 550 priming system, it would be perfect IMO.
I'll never get used to new unused primers being launched through the room from that ski ramp.... J/K... it's do-able, but there's a learning curve, like fill the primer tube, 6 empty strokes, turn on the case feeder, just to make sure the first case and the first primer will meet at the priming station. From there it's unbeatable. Can't imagine having to fill that case tube all the time, it's bad enough having to pick primers in between: A 650 without case feeder is a big no-no.

Btw... 550 case feeder does not do rifle calibers.
And Dillon's liftime NO BS warrenty is one of a kind.