PDA

View Full Version : Ishapore (& FAL) 7.62 Load

shootist87122
November 20, 2006, 19:36
Ishapore 2A1 Battle Rifle & Iron Sights. It just don't get much better for us old farts with 4 eyes:

Chronograph Data:

Avg: 2,754
High 2,770
Low 2,746
XS 24.4
SD 11.1

Note: This load was in new Graf .308 Brass. The same load/primer in Aussie Brass was on the hot side with V = 2,859. Use caution! With US commercial .308 brass it was still warm with V = 2,811.

mj2evans
December 03, 2006, 22:03
Nice group and awsome velocity spread. I assume you weigh charge?

shootist87122
December 03, 2006, 22:59
I load on a Dillon 650 which will drop 90% or so within +- .2 grains with this powder (Varget), most are closer than that. I generally weigh about every 5 or 6 after the machine settles in, but almost all of these were weighed since it was my first batch with a new lot of powder. The velocity spike when using the Aussie case is due to the thicker brass (lower internal volume) in military 7.62 cases VS commercial .308 cases. The CCI #34 primer I used is considered a magnium primer, btw.

I'm really happy with the accuracy of this old battle rifle using this load. Velocity and POI is the same as Aussie F4 Ball out to 500 meters.

DYNOMIKE
January 30, 2007, 20:40
Joe~
I will start with 44 Gr of VARGET, but will aslo try a couple Ball powders..
I had kinda decided VARGET was difficult for my Measure to throw but I may try my RCBS powder measure this time and try it again for the Bolt gun..
Accuracy out of my PARA using 44 Gr of VARGET was pretty darn good..

shootist87122
January 30, 2007, 22:46
Mike,

44 grains should be a good starting point unless you are using both the hot CCI #34 primer and surplus brass at the same time. It might be fine there too, but 45 grains in Aussie '91 with the CCI NATO spec primer was HOT. I've loaded some in Aussie brass at 43 grains for testing in a FAL (using the CCI #34), but it snows every time I get a chance to go shoot, so have not tried it yet (and it's snowing right now fer crying out loud)!

Last Sunday was a perfect day, but I was finishing up a new build. I think it's going to be a dandy. :biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
January 30, 2007, 23:00
"SO FAR" I have used this load with FN Primed Cases (pull down components I have on hand) as well as TZ Cases and WIN primers..
Both functioned very well and although I did vertical string my 100 Yd groups they were as mentioned pretty good..
My First attempts with this load used up a Full pound of Powder and I still have some more loaded up that I will try in another couple FAL'S.
Using a Target that gave me a difficult to repeat sight picture was NO help at all with my Eyes..
Thinking a 6"- 8" Bull (maybe an SR-1) might help me a Bunch?
I have tossed around the idea of trying a Couple Tenth grain increases but just not sure it would be worth the effort in these guns?

shootist87122
January 30, 2007, 23:33
Yeah, I load to +- 2 tenths as I don't see any difference, especially for battle rifles. I bump by .5 or .6 grains and sometimes more when working up a load. All depends on what feels right at the time. Note the 2.788" COL for the Hornady 150 FMJ (another one of those things that just felt/looked right - and worked in my rifle). The crimp grove (can't spell canalure) will be well above the end of the case.

NHBandit
January 31, 2007, 18:47
Originally posted by shootist87122
Mike,

44 grains should be a good starting point unless you are using both the hot CCI #34 primer and surplus brass at the same time. It might be fine there too, but 45 grains in Aussie '91 with the CCI NATO spec primer was HOT. I've loaded some in Aussie brass at 43 grains for testing in a FAL (using the CCI #34), but it snows every time I get a chance to go shoot, so have not tried it yet (and it's snowing right now fer crying out loud)!

Last Sunday was a perfect day, but I was finishing up a new build. I think it's going to be a dandy. :biggrin: If you want to get away from the snow you need to move to New Hampshire... What a strange winter we're having here. One snowstorm that amounted to less than an inch of snow and one ice storm and it's the end of January. The guys around here who make a living plowing in the winter are starving to death.

shootist87122
January 31, 2007, 21:37
NHBandit,

Believe me I know - it has been really weird, weather wise. At least last nights snow amounted to little more than a good dusting and we had sunshine for awhile this morning,

I think we've had more precip in the last 6 or 8 months here in the high desert of NM than I've seen in the last 5-6 years combined. My wife, a science teacher, says if this trend is due to Global Warming she's all for it! I tend to agree.

shootist87122
February 05, 2007, 00:41
44 grains should be a good starting point unless you are using both the hot CCI #34 primer and surplus brass at the same time.

I ran some of the 150 Hor FMJs today at 42.7 grains (+ - 0.1) of Varget and the (hot) CCI #34s in Aussie F4 Brass. Test rifle was a FAL this time. Someone left a couple of smallish (5" Bull) Shoot N See targets at 200 Yds. Better than what I had so I patched 'em up and ran a group of 5 each with AFF 91 and the reload. Optic was an Aimpoint - not the grestest for accuracy work but it was handy.

Both groups ran 5" (for 5 at 200 Yds) and both also had a pull to the left that is consistant with how I yank the trigger. :redface: The reloads had the best 4 at 3.5" and they centered the same or just slightly lower than the AFF 91 surplus. Ejection was a little more robust so I'll take the chrograph next time and see if I need to tweak it some to match the velocity of my F4 Ball.

Joe

Edit to post a follow up group (200 Yds, 9 shots, 3 3/8") and chronograph data:

150 Hornady FMJ
42.7 grains Varget in Aussie AFF91 Brass
CCI #34 Nato Spec Primer
Imbel 21" Barrel
Aimpoint Comp ML 3, 2 MOA Dot - Not the greatest for shooting tight groups at 200.

Avg V = 2,674 (Note: factory AFF91 ran 2,756 fps in the same rifle.)
H = 2,706; L = 2,649; SD = 18.0

Edit #2: I've since bumped this load up to 43.0 grains of Varget and now achieve the same drop at 500 Meters as AFF91. Windage at 500M is about 8" to the right of the AFF91, however

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/shootist87122/Targ200Y150HOR.jpg

Additional testing (different FAL /w scope instead of the Aimpoint) @ 43.0 grains Varget, Aussie Brass and CCI #34 Primer with the 150 Hornady FMJBT --Target on right is Varget reload (left is Aussie 83):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/shootist87122/Targ-Scp3GFAL-GPG-Mnt_edited.jpg