PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Press

FAL GRUNT
November 20, 2006, 10:48
Looking at getting a single stage press to start reloading.

Wandered what people thought about this "kit"

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=749997

opinions, suggestions, etc.

Im thinking about just posting a Wanted add on the marketplace to see if I can turn up everything for less $$$

thanks -myers

owlcreekok
November 20, 2006, 11:10
Wouldn't hurt none to post up a WTB, FALGRUNT. I have seen a few Rock Chuckers on there for cheap. I prefer the RCBS to any of the others. Redding does make a nice one, that I have toyed with getting, but don't need another single stage. By the time you pay a few shipping prices, getting a full set up here and there, you would have likely spent the price of the kit you posted. I hate to say it, but Ebay has a LOT of reloading stuff up there.

English Mike
November 20, 2006, 11:20
Natchez has the RCBS kit for $224.95

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC09357&src=ba207&src=ba207

Or the Hornady kit for $254.95

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=00&category=0&subCategory=475&catLevel=2&prodID=PC085003

FAL GRUNT
November 20, 2006, 11:42
Thanks for the input so far guys, I might go for the RCBS Rock Chucker kit.

Aside from that kit, what else would I need? a case trimmer? dies... anything else?

thanks agian guys, im excited to start this!!

-myers

owlcreekok
November 20, 2006, 11:58
A case trimmer is a good thing to have. Compulsory for rifle stuff, arguable for pistol. I have yet to trim a .45 ACP or .38 Spl case. I trim the .44 Mag cases I load as I am a bit more studious on the crimps for that. I bought a Lyman Universal case trimmer when I started out. Now, I use ot for the odd job. For my .308, .30-06 and .223 I use the Lee trimmer thingy. I really like it. Use it in a drill press or a hand drill (battery drill is handiest) even by hand. (slow slow slow) You will need a deburring tool after trimming. Again, I like the RCBS (made by Lachmiller at one time) deburring tool.

Dies: Straight wall pistol cases- buy carbides. RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Redding.

Rifle Dies- I like Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Lee. In that order.

Priming tool- I have a few of the Lee Auto Prime tools. These are a love-hate thing out there. Many guys say they are a cheap POS. They are. However, I have two out on the bench now that are over 15 years old. They take a special shell holder, different from the press shell holder. They RCBS priming tool is very similar, better made, and takes the same shell holder as the press. Niether is necessary if your press is equipped with the primer arm. (most are) If you use a primer tool once, you will never look back or do without one.

Powder trickler. I don't have one now. I made some scoops out of empty pistol cases. I use one of these for a trickler. Just scoop some powder in one and tap tap tap into the scale pan until it is right.

Man, I could go on and on, but I would be typing all day. Hang out in the reloading forum some and you will pick all of our peabrains.

Ask questions, you will get answers and smartass remarks. Ignore the trolls. Unless you like to poke them with sticks like the rest of us.

FAL GRUNT
November 20, 2006, 12:33
I usualy don't bother poking the trolls with sticks, thats what they made bayonets for :)

I enjoy all your input!! Part of this whole learning experience is it's difficult to learn without to a certian extent seeing what your looking at. Once I get some things in front of me then it will start being a bit easier.

Once upon a time I think I remember hearing that my grandfather reloaded some (30.06?) when he was doing alot more match/target shooting. May check to see what he has and if he can show me a bit of the ropes.

For right now I will mainly be reloading .308, 30.06, 7.62x39, and .223

Eventualy once I buy more pistols and shoot pistol more then i'll branch to .45 and .40.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

-myers

Biotech
November 20, 2006, 15:19
One thing Owl didn't mention for rifles is a case length gauge. You need to use this to check that your trimmed cases are the right length and that your loaded rounds will chamber correctly and not have bulged whenthe bullewt is seated and crimped.

FAL GRUNT
November 20, 2006, 22:01
Suggestions for one of those?

I have also seen guys talking about some tool that you feel around the inside of the casings with? This is to guage stretching? To prevent head seperation?

thanks. -myers

Biotech
November 20, 2006, 22:33
The case length gauges can be purchased from most reloading supply places. The ones I use happen to be Wilsons. Midway has their own as does Dillon.

The feelers that you have heard or read about are nothing more than a wire with an angled tip that is drug along the inside of the case and any non-comformity is felt as the hook passes over it. This can be made very easily with a paper clip.

shootist87122
November 20, 2006, 23:46
For single stage stuff I really like a heavy duty/ quality turrent press. I've had my Redding for over 20 years and it's still solid as a rock. The benefit is you don't have to unscrew/use one die at a time. The current version is a little different than what I have, but Redding is a top name and I expect they still make a quality product. I generally use Redding dies also, except in my Dillon progressivs. (Look at the Dillon 550 B too, btw.)

Redding turrent press at Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse

Edit to add: I have not used a Hornday press, but have two Hornady shotshell loaders that have been very good thru the ages. Hornady makes good products and stands behind them.

ftierson
November 20, 2006, 23:48
Originally posted by Biotech
The case length gauges can be purchased from most reloading supply places. The ones I use happen to be Wilsons. Midway has their own as does Dillon.

Case length gauges are nice, but unnecessary. Buy a good quality digital caliper and all your case length measurement problems are fixed in one fell swoop...

Forrest

ftierson
November 21, 2006, 00:02
A couple of thoughts about presses...

As far as I know, the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Press is made out of aluminum, like the Dillon progressive presses...

While there's nothing wrong with an aluminum press, per se (after all, the Dillon is very well liked by most owners), I personally don't want a press made out of aluminum. That's strictly a personal preference.

The RCBS Rockchucker, the Lee Classic, the Lyman Orange Crusher/Crusher II and the Redding presses, among some others, are made out of cast iron.

In addition, many reloaders are very happy with the Lock-N-Load feature of the Hornady Press. Personally, I don't care for it. I suppose that, if you were using only one load all of the time, the L-N-L feature might be nice. But, if you're playing with die adjustments anyway, why bother...

Them's my thoughts...

For what they're worth...

Forrest

Greensborobob
November 21, 2006, 09:39
I too would recommend the RCBS Kit. It will come with a Speer Manual, hand priming tool and a deburring - champher tool.

In addition to the calipers (I use the dial type) you will need some way to trim the rifle cases as mentioned, either a trim pro case trimmer (powered versions are available) or trim dies. When I bought my kit it was included so I didn't have to choose. If your doing any volume at all I couldn't imagine trying to do it with the dies.

Powder comes in three types, ball, flake and stick. If your using stick powders you'll need a powder trickler.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=715371 (Trim Pro)

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=3&s3=33

[URL=Powder Trickler]http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=317787 (Trim Die)