PDA

View Full Version : Swage Tool Options

Adventurer_96
November 18, 2006, 00:47
Am I stuck paying $81.95 for a Dillon swaging tool, or is there another EASY option? I'm not keen on drilling out primer pockets, or reaming them by hand.

Greensborobob
November 18, 2006, 09:45
Depends on how you define easy.

RCBS makes a reamer that works with the Trim Mate that Midway has for 13.79,
you'd need one large and small if you do both.

They have a swager combo for 22.99 that does both.

Reamer (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=123112) Swager (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=447022)

ftierson
November 18, 2006, 11:36
RCBS also makes a primer pocket swage die...

I've been using one for decades and have been very happy with how it works. It is designed to be used in a RCBS Rockchucker press...

It is certainly cheaper than the Dillon swaging tool, but requires more effort in use...

If you're planning on swaging a large number of cases (remember, you only need to swage the primer pocket once and then the case is good-to-go for the rest of it's 'life'), I'd drop the $82 for the dedicated Dillon tool.

Forrest

ftierson
November 18, 2006, 11:40
Originally posted by Greensborobob
They have a swager combo for 22.99 that does both.

Swager (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=447022)

Whoops...

Not being very observant, I failed to see this before responding above.

This is the RCBS swaging die that I was referring to...

Sorry.

Forrest

ggiilliiee
November 18, 2006, 15:24
there is an old saying ...if your hobby is shooting ...buy a dillon ....if your hobby is reloading....get an rcbs ....

gunsmith_tony
November 18, 2006, 18:48
Can't be too old a saying. Besides, what is reloading without shooting? For me...it's just a means to an end.
I don't get a chance to make it out to the range as often as I'd like. So when I do go...I generally send at least two or three hundred rounds down range.
So I guess I'm the shooter with the Dillon. :biggrin:

As for swaging, I use the RCBS swaging die in conjunction with the Rock Chucker.

SID325
November 18, 2006, 23:10
I've tried most of the swage tools on the market. I must say the Dillon is the quickest and easiest to use, spend the money and get the Dillon.

Sid

Adventurer_96
November 19, 2006, 00:02
My single stage press is an old Herter's that has a universal shellplate adapter, but I think I'm going to be parting with it soon as I can use my Hornady as a single stage press if need be.

Sounds like the Dillon when the budget allows.

Thanks.

DJ
November 19, 2006, 11:10
One of these days, I'm gonna break down and buy the Dillon. For now though I'm using the RCBS swager in my Rockchucker. It does a good job. It's kinda slow and ya gotta remember to get yer fingers outa the way before ya work the press handle.

BUFF
November 20, 2006, 02:56
Originally posted by DJ:

"For now though I'm using the RCBS swager in my Rockchucker. It does a good job. It's kinda slow and ya gotta remember to get yer fingers outa the way before ya work the press handle."

Boy, that's the truth! I got careless one night and decapped my thumbnail. Ran the pin all the way through, in the nail, out the fleshy part. Penetrate, then crush!

And then, by reflex, I start trying to pull my thumb away from the device that is causing me so much pain! I pull! I jerk! Nothing! More pain!!!

Then I notice I gotta lower the ram to get the damn digit free!

Man, that smarts!

ggiilliiee
November 20, 2006, 13:18
its fairly old .....like me ...but 2-3 hundred ....man tony you dont have any time ...wouldnt even leave the house with less than 500 rnds and a roast beef sandwich ....the rcbs is a fine machine ...just miserably slow ....

Adventurer_96
December 03, 2006, 23:56
Well, I just stopped by the Sportsman's Warehouse and found that Lyman makes a battery-powered tool, kinda looks like a handheld screwdriver, and it comes w/chamfer & deburr attachments, as well as primer pocket reamers. I wonder if this would do the trick on military primer pockets?

gunsmith_tony
December 04, 2006, 20:06
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
its fairly old .....like me ...but 2-3 hundred ....man tony you dont have any time ...wouldnt even leave the house with less than 500 rnds and a roast beef sandwich ....the rcbs is a fine machine ...just miserably slow .... Yeah, compared to my 550B, it is incredibly slow...but quite useful none the less. I use it for pocket swaging and occasionally Colet pulling. I don't load match ammunition anymore, so thats about all it's relegated to now.

gunsmith_tony
December 04, 2006, 20:06
Originally posted by Adventurer_96
Well, I just stopped by the Sportsman's Warehouse and found that Lyman makes a battery-powered tool, kinda looks like a handheld screwdriver, and it comes w/chamfer & deburr attachments, as well as primer pocket reamers. I wonder if this would do the trick on military primer pockets? I don't see why it wouldn't.