PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun reloading: which press?

BlackCat
November 17, 2006, 16:49
I'm considering one of the MEC single stage presses. If all I'm doing is loading 12 guage 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells, have a set of powder scales and enough free time to enjoy the single stage experience, would anyone recommend something different (or a specific model)?
This is foreign territory for me, thanks in advance for any life preservers thrown my way.

kycrawler
November 17, 2006, 18:08
i have a lee load all i use to reload slugs , works fine my biggest problem was getting a feel for setting the crimp i loaded 100 rounds at my first attempt and 11 had ugly /deformed crimps

lee load all press set is about $35 new from midsouth

J. Y. Dog
November 17, 2006, 18:31
I'v got a MEC that I came buy used and it has worked well for me. Can't offer a comparison as this is all I have ever needed.

If you shoot alot of special or mag type loads itwill pay for itself.

If I were going to buy a new one I might have to look at the Lee especially considering the price. Most people who I have talked with about them are satisfied.

Jim

bookertbab
November 17, 2006, 19:17
I have the Lee and it does work fine, but it is slow slow slow. As long as you don't mind spending your time pulling a handle 6 times to load one shell then go for it.

Deltaten
November 17, 2006, 19:20
BlackCat:

The MEC 600 jr. is a great SG press for starters...and finishers! ;)

Ya can find 'em used fer low bux $35-50 or spring foe a new one fer around a C note.

IF I had four extra hands, I could "progressively" use it with one at each station :D

Simple, inexpensive, easy to maintain. I got my second one from an old Trap shooter. He musta had 100K rd thru it and it stiull looks/works good. Ya really don't need more than the Jr. for general use.

I've tried the Lee jobbies, and well...found them only OK; not diss'ng 'em but they ARE cheap.

BTW: I get a few per hunnert that get all whacky in the crimp dept. too. I throw 'em in the box for range fodder

Best,
Paul

kycrawler
November 17, 2006, 19:43
glad to know i m not the only one getting retarded crimps on some

i just shoot them up too shoot okay just look odd

Confed Pirate
November 17, 2006, 19:48
my old man has had 3 mec loaders for all his shoutguns the latest one is electric powered

Biotech
November 20, 2006, 15:27
Mec's are great shotgun reloaders I have one that has been in use for almost 30 years. You can usually find used ones for sale and the powder bar bushings are readily available for what ever load you are looking for. Check their website for the listing of the hulls and wad combination to select the bushing you will need

Indycar
November 20, 2006, 18:42
I second the recommendation of the Mec JR. I've had one for years for loading shells for trap and skeet. It's perfect for loading that "special" box or two for 3 gun match shotty segments too!

owlcreekok
November 22, 2006, 07:33
I bought a Lee Load All in 12 GA a many a year ago. Agreed, kinda slow. However, I got the bug to reload 12 GA by helping a friend on his Mec Jr. I am not so very much slower on the Lee that he was on the Mec.

I found that by making a "stop" for the crimp stroke I could get uniform crimps with the Lee. The stop worked ONLY for the type of hulls it is set for. I tried to only reload Win AA. Wads must match the hull/load. A few other hull related variables will affect crimp. Condition, temperature comes to mind.

What sold me on the Lee was getting ALL the powder and shot charge inserts in one purchase. I later found this to be almost a moot point as I only reloaded ONE load. I can see the possibility of needing three or MAYBE four different loads so buying MEC bars for all these would not be SO bad. I just lost interest. Also I hated the idea that almost every change of load or hull meant change of wad, shot insert, powder insert, crimp stop,,,,.

So, Black Cat, while I typed this, I came to the conclusion that IF I can find all the parts (I bet I can) to my Lee Load All, I will cut you a helluva deal.

I got the press, all the inserts, some wads for Win AA, maybe even a bunch of hulls (don't count on that, lol). Shoot me a PM and we'll work it out. I ain't using it and hope I don't. You take it, jack with it some. If it works for you, then I would prefer a trade of sumpin you got rather than cash.

Lemme know.