PDA

View Full Version : Loading Mil. Spec

daschnoz
November 17, 2006, 08:45
I have:
Qty 1000 - M2 bullets (pulls)
Qty 1000 - Mixed headstamps once fired mil brass (LC, RA, WRA)
Qty 1000 - CCI #34 primers
Qty 8 pounds - Hodgdon BL-C(2)

I plan to spend the winter in front of my press so I can spend the summer on the range. I get married in December, so the honey may have other ideas, but that's my plan as of now.

About a month ago, I shot some of my loads and some of a friend's Hirt. over a chrono on a 60 deg. day. The Hirt. clocked in at 2750 like it's supposed to. My loads were closer to 2600.

Knowing that temperature effects powder (and therefore velocity), what should my target velocity be when it's 35-45 deg? I want to keep the velocity as close to mil as possible, but I don't want to end up over pressure in the summer. I was thinking something between 2650 and 2675.

I do plan to load up a sample from each brass mfg'r. so I have an idea of how I need to adjust the charges if needed.

I looked in the chrony results posts, but none of the results were taken on as cold a day as I will be shooting on. I'll be hitting the range in mid December. I don't want to be "that guy" :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: blasting away at the range during deer season.