PDA

View Full Version : 8mm AK,anyone have one?

Near Sighted Sniper
November 13, 2006, 03:17
I'm thinking about buying an M76 from ORF.But 2 G's is alot to spend on a rifle,on the other hand 8mm is cheap & readily available.I'm also curious to know how accurate these rifles are?Anyone have one of fondled one in there shop?TIA,Mick.

partymember
November 26, 2006, 19:14
i saw a 7.92 Kurz SKS once.

homelandprotector
November 27, 2006, 11:06
You can build 3 Fals for that price.

http://www.snipercentral.com/m76.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caliber 7.92 x 57 Mauser
Action Gas operated semi-automatic
Length 44.69" (1135mm)
Weight 9.24 lbs (4.2 kg)
Barrel Length 21.65 inches (550mm)
Magazine 10 round detachable box
Sight Standard Kalashnikov iron sights
Teloscopic Sight M76 4x24mm (PSO-1)
Stock Slightly modified Kalashnikov wood
Max Effective Range 800+ meters (875+ yards)

The M76 is a modified AK-47/74 that has been accurized with a longer and heavier barrel and a modified stock that is more comfortable and ergonomical. The M76 has also been chambered in 7.92x57 Mauser, a much better long range caliber then either the 7.62x39mm or 5.45x39mm calibers of the rifles its derived from. The M76 Teloscopic sight is essentially a Russian PSO-1 with active IR illumination detection ability and a lighted reticule. Its calibrated with a BDC out to 1200 meters, but thats fairly optimistic for the performance of the rifle. The rifle also comes with a 5x80mm passive night vision scope, which appears to be about the equivilent of a gen II night vision device. (Good to about 500 meters on a bright moon, clear night).
The rifle is comfortable to shoot and the 7.92 Mauser offers pretty good ballistics, with 800 meters being an acheivable range for the average sniper, and 1000 meters for the expert. The recoil is light, but there can be a heat problem with successive rapid fire shots. Overall, the rifle is a solid "field" sniper system with about 1.5 - 2.0 MOA and is very functional, as proven in Bosnia and Kosovo.

tlmarks
November 28, 2006, 06:52
I got a m-76 from ORF. the guns looks great but it has two problems, it fails to feed about half the time, and when it does feed and you fire it, the bolt and carrier are locked up so tight that it will not cycle all of the way, even on the highest gas setting. I have e-mailed and called Todd at ORF but have got no reply as of yet, it has been two weeks.

bobsfal
February 04, 2007, 14:40
im in the process of attempting to assemble ; using a saiga 30-06 as base,mauser 24/47
barrel,with AK-furniture,magazine is the only thing im having a problem with,as the saiga only has a 3 round capacity any other ideas??

richbug
February 04, 2007, 18:35
Originally posted by bobsfal
im in the process of attempting to assemble ; using a saiga 30-06 as base,mauser 24/47
barrel,with AK-furniture,magazine is the only thing im having a problem with,as the saiga only has a 3 round capacity any other ideas??

MG13 magazines maybe.

My plan was to assemble one based on a 308 saiga, but there is alot of stretching to do.

How long is the mag opening on the 30-06?

Is the 30-06 really an AK under all that plastic? I asked about them at the shop on Friday, and they said they weren't available yet.

B. B. Ryan
March 01, 2007, 14:34
To answer Mr. Near Sighted Sniper's question, one of my friends had a real original Zavasta but BATFE recalled them, he turned his in, got reimbursed and has since wailed about it. The original was completely free of reliability problems. It cycled magnificently. Very low recoil for shooting an 8mm Mauser ctg. We did not experience the greatest of accuracy but then we did not shoot match quality hand loads or sniper grade ammo. 5" at 100 yards was normal.
Have not heard anything good about the new made up ones using original parts kits on American made receivers. Personally, I'm sick and tired of paying top dollar for unreliable firearms so I would not recommend these rifles. The originals are fine but not legal so that's that. Hope this helps.

TideWater 41009
March 01, 2007, 16:34
What were the legality issues that got these rifles recalled?

wildwilly
March 01, 2007, 17:15
I have a 308 with ugly thumbhole stock. its a zastavia? The 1989 ban got them modified and not long after that they were ban from importation thumbhole or not. Kicks compared to m1a.

B. B. Ryan
March 01, 2007, 18:01
Tech branch at BATFE approved the importation. This was during the crime bill era. The rifles came in with a conventional style set of AK stocks which included a pistol grip and separate shoulder stock. The rifle also had a flash supressor, bayonet lug and detachable magazine. Finally it came with all the selective fire parts installed at the factory so we were told if you put the safety selector in a position up about 1/2" from the semi auto fire slot, the gun would fire full auto.
Not wanting to risk time in a Federal Penitentary we never fooled around to do this but I am licensed to own full autos among other items and could see how the parts in the Zvasta would cycle full auto with the safety selector being engaged in that position. I'm also a licensed gunsmith. There was no full auto slot in the receiver. In any event, BATFE ordered the distributor to get them back, my friend sent it back immediately upon being notified, got his refund and that's the end of that.