PDA

View Full Version : Monster LA Buck

BlueDuck
November 10, 2006, 19:51
Here is my first deer of the season.....all 80lbs of it. We are allowed six total deer in this parish. I killed it w/ a TC Black Diamond muzzle loader; a 240 grain Hornady XTP over 100 grains of pyrodex. I double lunged it at about 40 yards right before dark on a state forrest just outside of Ft Polk....it ran like a scalded dog. I found it the next morning (no blood trail except for some lung tissue found at the point of impact). I skinned it out before lunch and had to get back to work. The backstrap tasted great. That is my helper in the second pic. I hope she will hunt with me one day! Enjoy.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/BlueDuckACR/IMGP2857.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/BlueDuckACR/IMGP2853.jpg

BlueDuck

gunseller
November 11, 2006, 09:52
Good hunt and nice helper. That is the size I remember them being. I shot a big fat doe at Ft Polk 30 some years ago. I think my kit weighed more than she did. I neck shot her at 300 meters using a M16A1 and 55 grain fmj ammo. She went down and never moved. Supply Sgt tagged her. She did taste good off the grill.
Steve

bookertbab
November 11, 2006, 14:42
OMG are you sure you didn't shoot your neighbors dog? ;)

I'm used to those corn feed bucks up here in ohio that are about 2-1/2 times that size.

BUFF
November 11, 2006, 17:57
Tasty, eatin' size!

Good thing you used enough gun. Hate to get charged by a wounded buck and impaled or gored...

BlueDuck
November 12, 2006, 11:13
Originally posted by BUFF
Tasty, eatin' size!

Good thing you used enough gun. Hate to get charged by a wounded buck and impaled or gored...

....he might have broke the skin with that rather large rack. I'm guessing he grosses at least 15 boone and crocket points.

Confed Pirate
November 12, 2006, 12:05
:rofl:

fastprofessor
November 12, 2006, 12:17
You killed Bambi!!!!!:eek: :uhoh:

diana-ar15
November 19, 2006, 19:27
Congrats!

Before you know it that little tike will be taking your FAL into the deer woods. :)

akajun
November 24, 2006, 22:11
I know that there is larger deer than that in Ft polk, hell I hit one with my truck a few years ago near there.

Bprewit
November 25, 2006, 13:52
nice little deer and great helper! You know it may be small but I bet money it will taste better than a giant trophy deer. Funny thing, no matter how long I cook the horns they are still hard to eat. Glad you got some meat in the freezer!

LongueCarabine
December 03, 2006, 19:33
Yeah, that looks like an East Texas deer, not like many of the ones I've seen in Central and Western LA.

LC