PDA

View Full Version : Progressive 5.56 & 7.62 - how do you do it?

Adventurer_96
November 09, 2006, 00:13
I'm interested in mass-loading a bunch of cases I have for blasting ammo, using milsurp 5.56 & 7.62 cases. I'm expecting it to be about 8-10 ammo cans when complete, to give you an idea of the amount. I've got a Hornady progressive, and I'm looking to see what else I'll need to get "progressive" on rifle loading.

So, here are the questions. What do you mass loaders use for a case trimmer? I'm thinking that the RCBS Power Trimmer (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=481398) is the high-end option, since you can get a cutter to do 3 operations in one. Am I missing something here?

I'd think that on the progressive, I'd send the cases through the resizing/depriming stage, then remove them for trimming. Clean, then send through on the progressive the priming, powder, seating, then (if need be) a Lee chamber die-type stage.

Also, other than www.gibrass.com, what sources do you guys have a source for military pulldown or unfired brass?

MAINER
November 10, 2006, 17:21
Your on the right track. Trimming cases is very time consuming and the power trimmer with the champher-deburring is the way to do it. Actually, the standard case trimmer with the 3-way cutter would be fine for me, but if ya like powered stuff, go to it.

Not sure what Lee die you are referring to, but the only Lee die I like is their "Factory Crimp Die". I use these on all cannulered bullet loads.

One sugggestion is obtaining a carbide expander for your sizer die or set up a seperate expander die. It makes for a much smoother operation on a progressive. Hornady has these and makes them to go into RCBS.

Have fun :)

www.wideners.com

fire for effect
November 10, 2006, 19:40
I size and deprime using a RCBS Rock chucker. I then use a Dillon Power trimmer to trim to length. I then deburr while watching Wild Geese.
I then use My hornady L&L Progressive as you normally would. Finally I run them in a case vibrator for twenty minutes to remove case lube.

Adventurer_96
November 10, 2006, 23:27
"Factory Crimp Die".

That's the name! I noticed dramatcially better results in .38 148gr wadcutter ammunition when using it, so I assume it would be a good deal w/5.56 & 7.62.

As tempting as it is to think of deburring/etc. while watching TV, no ammo stuff can come into the living room. It's a fair compromise - I get basically the whole garage.

Adventurer_96
November 10, 2006, 23:33
I'm actually going to try and send the Hornady press back to the company for some fine tuning this week, when it was there to get upgraded for the latest shellplate system I think they didn't adjust it right. Consequently, it won't seat primers properly anymore.

After I get it back, though, I'll be loading up some 7.62.

mj2evans
November 14, 2006, 09:18
I have not used the RCBS power/combo trimmer but have heard its nice. No idea if set up is a pain but I would assume once set for a caliber you want to trim several hundered. I have a Gracey trimmer in 30-06 and it sure makes trimming easy (does all three steps in 2 seconds per case). However, the Gracey is caliber specific but I got it in 30-06 use for highpower use but I know they make 308 and 223 models.

Adventurer_96
November 15, 2006, 23:03
While unpacking my reloading bench this past weekend, I found a Lyman adapter for my cutter that's for a drill. I may have to give it a whirl this weekend.