PDA

View Full Version : Izzy receiver and DSA front end no fit WHY

reissue
September 22, 2001, 20:55
Hi all short and sweet. Izzy receiver (fn-Belg.) metric front end. I can only get 1 tread on the receiver. I just wanted to see the results. I will get a smith to assemble but it's tight. I have never headspaced a weapon so I would never try without supervision, but is it suppose to be that tight. Thank you in advance.

My son is in camel country now with the OPS clearing lanes of entry for the birds to feed, God's speed my son you make me proud.

Timber Wolf
September 22, 2001, 21:18
As I understand it the IZZY is a SLIGHTLY different pitch. They can be lapped together or a die/tap run on/in to match them up.

reissue
September 22, 2001, 23:03
Well thank you for that, I am going to send it out Monday and get it setup. Then it playtime.

Radio
September 22, 2001, 23:12
Standard Metric and Inch thread pitch is 1" by 16 TPI; the Israelis used their own unique pitch that sets them apart from the rest of the world. (Sorta weird why they did that.)

You've got an interesting problem; most of us go the opposite way (Metric receiver, Izzy barrel). They're making new Metric receivers every day, but your Izzy receiver is out of production and not nearly as common. If I were you I would definitely not alter your Izzy thread pitch, but instead would re-thread the Metric barrel since they're a dime a dozen. If you try to "lap" them together, neither will be of a standard thread pitch and will require further repair to be used in any other application... rebarrelling for example. Remember the old rule to "grind the cheaper part," in this case the barrel.

--Radio

EMDII
September 23, 2001, 06:33
GunPlumber at ARS describes very well this problem, and how to solve it.

Get his handbook.