PDA

View Full Version : WECSOG Files: Did I ruin these barrels?

Radio
September 22, 2001, 15:07
Time to swallow my pride and get the opinions of my board brothers and sisters. As many of you know, these days I drive a truck. On occasion, while waiting for the next assignment, I have some free time to kill. Being a true FALoholic, I take new kits on the road with me to clean and play with. I've even barreled and assembled rifles in the back of my truck... everything except the locking shoulders (which I do NOT keep in the truck in an attempt to stay legal while in the PRK).

I've got a complete selection of FAL tools with me... Casey Elliot receiver wrench, modified 1-1/16" open-end, punches, yada yada. And I remove receiver stubs off kit barrels... brace yourself... with a hacksaw. (Well, I did say I had time to kill!) My right arm is starting to look like Popeye's.

Anyway, the very first time I try this, excellent StG kit, I'm sawing and sawing... getting deeper, keep sawing... okay, looks like I'm getting close to the threads. Big chisel and BFH time. WHACK! WHACK! The flash hider is against the floor, stub skyward and I'm hammering straight down. Oops, the chisel bounces out a couple of times. WHACK! Slips towards the chamber, re-position and WHACK! again. At last, success! Stub screws right off... uh oh.

That chisel bounced AGAINST the chamber. Little marks around the face, looks like one burr right at the edge. Is my StG barrel now toast? Can this be polished out? Inserted a round, burr scratched the brass. Am I totally screwed?

On to the next stub removal, one of the Group Buy IMBEL kits. This time I got "smart" and inserted an empty case into the chamber. All well and good, better control on the chisel this time... except maybe I didn't hacksaw quite deep enough and had to WHACK! a little longer... well, maybe too much. Left a mark on the barrel end, almost exactly at nine-o'clock; doesn't appear to intrude into the chamber lip. Well, sometimes we file on this surface anyway when the barrel bottoms out against the chamber end of the receiver before the barrel shoulder does. Not a problem, is it? At least I don't think this barrel is hurt too badly, but I'm losing sleep over that really fine StG barrel. What do you think? Can the damage be polished out?

By the way, after learning the hard WECSOG way, the next two stub removals have been flawless. To modify a board member's signature, four down... a BUNCH to go! Thanks for your opinions, gang. Gotta go right now to pick up my Williams Alumalites (yahoo!!) but I'll be back tonight.

--Radio

Buk
September 22, 2001, 16:25
From your description, the burr can be cleaned up by careful attention with a jeweler's file and slicked up with 320/400 grit abrasive paper. The barrel with the marks that didn't get to the chamber edge is OK. Don't sweat the petty stuff!

moparman
September 22, 2001, 19:57
Nope, Sooooo sad but,they are unfortunately junk now. Just pack them up really well and send them to me. If they are from matching numbered kits, I guess they won't match anymore so you might as well send the rest of the kits along too. You won't need those tools anymore without the kits so throw them into the box and, for no cost at all to you, I will figure out what to do with them so they don't harm the environment or pi$$ off a liberal. (No enviromentalists or liberals where I live! They all know better...)

:D ;) :D ;)

Scott H
September 23, 2001, 14:30
Radio,

Not to be critical-- to remove the receiver stub I laid the barrel down on a piece of oak and put my chisel in the cut I made on the receiver stub and gave it a few whacks. The cut opened up real nice and the stub screwed off pretty easy. Perhaps with one of your other barrels you’ll want to try it this way and avoid marring the breach face. Hope this helps and have a safe trip!

Newbie2FALs
September 23, 2001, 15:09
Originally posted by Henny:
<STRONG>Radio,

Not to be critical-- to remove the receiver stub I laid the barrel down on a piece of oak and put my chisel in the cut I made on the receiver stub and gave it a few whacks. The cut opened up real nice and the stub screwed off pretty easy. Perhaps with one of your other barrels you’ll want to try it this way and avoid marring the breach face. Hope this helps and have a safe trip!</STRONG>

nah, that's just inviting disaster-one hit too many and the threads're shot for the lenght of rhe BBl.that'd scrap it for sure
keep doin'what you're doin Radio and they'll be just fine :D

W.E.G.
September 23, 2001, 18:07
I wouldn't worry about it.

Its just one of many "ugly-marks" on a homegrown kit gun. You are the only one who will ever know.

Radio
September 23, 2001, 23:44
Thanks for reassuring me, guys. This was one of the "excellent" StG kits I/O used to have once upon a time... been waiting on a DSA all these many months (heck, going on two years). (Well, when the G/L IMBELS were $219, can ya blame me?) I'll polish out the burr, build the rifle and be happy.

Just a side note, this barrel timed PERFECTLY on a DSA Type-I, as did an R1 barrel. Sure is different from all my IMBEL receivers where the barrel initially timed at about 9:30 or 10:00.

--Radio