PDA

View Full Version : mismatched bipod plungers

yankytrash
September 22, 2001, 10:42
At the last gun show, a dealer gave (ya - I said "gave"!!) me a bipod for my L1A1. It had no screws and no plungers in the legs.

I went out to the shop and made up some screws easily. That was no problem.

The plungers were a different story. I ended up sawing off the smooth shank of a couple 3/8" carraige bolts and fitted them into my 1/2" drill. I put it on the grinder and turned a German WWII potatoe-masher-looking plunger from it. One end slides nicely into the spring hole, and the protruding tip is an elongated oval that fits inside the leg cavity perfectly.

A bunch of polishing and some heavy grease, and I was in business.

I was just wondering, having never seen an actual bipod and it's components, how is the plunger usually configured? Was I remotely close, or is it some kind of ball-bearing dohicky instead?

By the way - it works great. I can scan it and give specific measurements later if anyone wants them, although I hear a new bipod with all the parts is only $15 from Tapco.

I just get bored sometimes and need to grind something. ;)

yankytrash
September 22, 2001, 10:49
You know somethin funny? I just noticed the screws I used have logo of "B/P" on their heads. I'll tell my shootin friends that they're genuine FN screws, and B/P means "BiPod".

Bwaaahahahhaaaaaahaaaa!!!! :D

Dave1
September 22, 2001, 23:40
Yankee,
You are correct on both accounts. The G1 from what I've seen to date used a T shaped thingy to lock the bipod and the STG's used a roller bearing, sort of a cam follower if you will. One of the T shaped thingys on a bipod of mine looks to be made "in the field" with a very dull file and a rock, but it works :rolleyes:
Dave

KHz
September 23, 2001, 01:07
My G1 had a roller bearing on one side and the T shaped thingy on the other :eek: it was a Tapco HP kit. The side with the T shape thing had much more wear than the roller bearing side.

Radio
September 23, 2001, 01:30
All my StGs are off site at the moment. One of the TAPCO hand-picked G1 kits is in my truck and had mis-matched plungers as described above; the second happens to be here so I stole a quick look. Both plungers are the "T" style... and hey, there aren't any castle nuts on the screws! Both legs on this particular kit open and lock with a solid, satisfying "click." (This barrel still has all original exterior finish and the bore is gorgeous. Thanks TAPCO!!)

--Radio

hsp223
September 24, 2001, 10:21
Hey KHz! You got my T shape thingy or my roller thingy. My Tapco kit also came with one T shape thingy and one roller cam thingy as welly. Neither are in great shapey but worky none the lessy.

avlonfrg
September 24, 2001, 14:08
My G1 kit also has a mix of T-shape and roller style, but the roller style is beat to hell. Anyone have a spare T-shape plunger?

John W

Radio
September 24, 2001, 19:29
Hey you!! Yes, hsp223, you!! PUT DOWN THE BEER!! Now hands in the air and walk backward towards my voice!!

--Radio ;)

Greywuuf
August 19, 2002, 16:18
Hello all, A quick question concerning the folding Bipods. The previous G1 ( Tapco non hand Pick $99 ) had a pretty decent Bipod that cleaned up and parked nicely but the Spring loaded "detents" we just a non moving steel uhm button/rod for lack of a better word. this second G1 I am building is part of a Tapco imbel/g1 combo apears to be newer or better shape overall and also has the Bipod. trouble is one of the bipod legs had previously been removed and had the same detent piece as my other. the other leg was still staked and showed no indication of being staked more than once .. but has a roller Detent. ie: a seperate rolling piece on the end of the detent pin. I have heard rumored that the STG's had this feature but since I have never handled one do not know. What do I have ... what am I suposed to have and who has one or the other of the pieces so I can make these legs match ? Thanks for the wonderful info and giving me a place to hang out . ( PS the original G1 build looks great with Geralds OD furniture and is now shooting like a champ )

ThunderGod
August 19, 2002, 16:28
I recently got a G1 kit from Tapco also, but didn't notice that it CAME with a bipod, so I ordered one, too. Spare bipod is an STG with the roller cams and a slightly different cutout on the inner face of the leg where the screw goes through it. G1 bipod has the one-piece cams. Unfortunately, they BOTH have the SAME leg slightly bent. AARGH!!!

sledgehammer
August 19, 2002, 18:23
The bipods with the wheel type system that are so common on the StG 58 rifles are a much better set up in my opinion. They work more smoothly and don't seem to wear out as quickly as the G1 type.

Radio
August 20, 2002, 02:47
One of my G1s also came with mismatched bipod parts.

Do you really think anybody else is ever going to notice on your rifle?!?

Solution One: call up TAPCO or FAC and get an StG bipod with the rollers. Solution Two: call up either vendor and order another G1 kit... keep ordering kits until you have all the necessary parts for a matching G1-style bipod. Maybe the second solution isn't practical... but it sure would be fun!

"Got Receivers?"

--Radio

Greywuuf
August 20, 2002, 11:46
well no I am sure no one will notice .... partly because one of the builds received penguin HG's and is not fitted with a bipod. but its kinda weird for me knowing I have one ... and it comes from two differant places .... besides I was hoping it would be an excuse for aquiring and STG :) seriously I was just wondering if that was the differance ? I understand that in the Turkish millitary establishment stuff gets replaced with whatever parts work . I am not worried about it per se, but I wanted to know the correct parts .. and then it occured to me that a matching part would Seem to be rather cheap ....mostly just asking a history question

Radio
August 20, 2002, 18:46
Somebody with The Book might be able to answer more completely, but the G1s were built for Germany by FN in Belgium. FN also built the first many thousands (20k most often sited) of StG-58s for Austria. It is possible that a mixture of parts occurred at the factory level; it's also just as likely that a depot repair was made at a much later date, with a new screw installed and staked.

Speaking broadly, the lug pin is correct for G1s, the roller pin correct for StGs. So far I've never seen an StG bipod with a lug pin, but, as they say, stuff happens...

--Radio