PDA

View Full Version : anybody tried to eat a Emu?

Bprewit
November 03, 2006, 00:49
My uncle is 84yrs old and still works everyday but my aunt was diagnosed with lung cancer and I think that this year will be the last year for hunting at the farm. Farm is near McCamey, Tx and have hunted there since I was a little kid. About 5yrs ago someone released Emu's in the area and they live around the farm. I see them every year and have always wondered if there is any meat on them once the feathers are plucked? Took a friend hunting last year and it was his first time to go deer hunting. We spotted turkeys leaving the orchard and started after them. While looking through his scope to see if he could spot them my buddy got a weird look on his face and asked me exactly how big these wild turkeys are. He was shocked that they grew so big in the wild...silly bastard was scoping a emu. This year I may take one but if I kill it my family and I eat it so hope they aren't too nasty.

Andy the Aussie
November 03, 2006, 00:53
Well since you asked I have....funny that, in fact I can buy Emu snags down at the local butcher. To be honest i don't like it that much but many do. Very very dark meat that seems somewhat "oily" to me....even stranger is that it tastes NOTHING like chicken ;) ;) .

Plenty of meat under there but they are a pain in the butt to clean (feathers get the hell on everything). Make sure you head shoot 'em or you will screw up what meat there is....it is a challenge in its self..... ;)

jaykden
November 03, 2006, 01:15
i remember chasing a bunch of the bastards on a 4 wheeler while pig hunting, i was trying to get the .30-30 outta the scabbard and ran the things right into a fence. i thought, "perfect, that'll give me time to unload on 'em". well, they tore up the fence somthing fierce and were gone before i could draw a bead on one. the owner of the land drove up and asked if i got any and i told him no. he said he shoots them every chance he gets as they, well, tear up fences. i found out later its illegal to shoot them in australia as they're protected. ooooooooops. LOL . i tell ya what, those birds are faaaaast on their feet. almost as fun as tryin to run down 'roos. :rofl:

chromestarhustler
November 04, 2006, 21:01
a few years back there was a gold mine in emus according to a bunch of people so a lot of get rich quickers started emu farms. the gold mine was selling emus to other farms trying to start up. them a bunch of people went bust and released them. they are edible just barely

doktor_ecchs
November 04, 2006, 21:12
Tastes like chicken...BIG chicken!!! :eek: :uhoh:

as ever,
Dr. X :fal:

1MOR
November 04, 2006, 21:47
Had some Emu meat a while back. Reminded me of turkey dark meat but not as sweet. I have seen a few of them off the backroads in SW Florida. I saw one that ended up as roadkill off Rt 31 in Charlotte County.

Bearwhositshere
November 04, 2006, 22:08
Never cared for the taste of Emu, but awhile back someone gave me some emu oil...said it was good for arthritus. Didn't work for me.

That's all I got on Emus.:biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
November 04, 2006, 23:10
I thought you said "ELMO"....:devil:

Nope Never tried Emu, or ELMO... :biggrin:

ftierson
November 04, 2006, 23:49
The neighbors across the road from my Mom and Dad in western New York raise ostriches...

They sell both eggs and meat...

I've never tried any, but they seem to manage to sell all that they produce, so it can't taste that bad...

I'm guessing that an emu tastes a lot like an ostrich...

Forrest

broncobisley1
November 05, 2006, 00:13
Originally posted by DYNOMIKE69
I thought you said "ELMO"....:devil:

Nope Never tried Emu, or ELMO... :biggrin:

Nope, I've eaten many different dead things, but Emus ain't one of them.

You'd have to ask my dog about how Elmo tastes, he didn't like him very much. I was able to save bits and pieces of Elmo, had to fight the dog to get him to quit eating Elmo, didn't want a large vet bill from an Elmo blockage.

krallstar
November 05, 2006, 11:17
i have tried ostrich meat and thought it was good. Cooked it on the grill. Thought it tasted alot like steak. Had a bunch of the little kids around and had them try it. They ate all of it. Asked for more.

1 More Aussie
November 07, 2006, 04:12
Bloody big drumsticks mate!!! :eek: Don't do much for the front of the ute when you hit 'em either:sad:

jaykden
November 07, 2006, 12:39
aint that why ya got a 'roo bar? :rofl:

Stranger
November 07, 2006, 15:32
My father and a friend "hunted" Emu one afternoon at a farm outside Russell, KS one pheasant season. They had a terrible morning and didn't bag a thing. His hunting buddy had an idea to visit a friend of his who was raising Emu and Ostrich on his ranch. The rancher had no problem letting them bag a couple Emu for a few bucks. Unfortunately, it was like shooting cattle in a stockyard, nothing "sporting" about it. The two birds they took were standing on a low branch about 20 yards away. They fired a couple rounds to try to get them spooked and moving. However, they wouldn't move. So, the moved a few yards closer and decapidated them with one round each.

Anyway, the meat was pretty good as I remember.

Qbdss
November 07, 2006, 17:45
Tastes pretty good, the texture is a little odd however, and the meat is very dark red.

ftierson
November 07, 2006, 19:21
Originally posted by Qbdss
Tastes pretty good, the texture is a little odd however, and the meat is very dark red.

I wonder about what the appropriate wine would be to go with emu...?

A classic white, a dark red, or a rose...?

Sweet or dry...?

(From your survival stash, of course).

Forrest

1 More Aussie
November 07, 2006, 19:54
Originally posted by jaykden
aint that why ya got a 'roo bar? :rofl:

That's why I SHOULD'VE had a roo bar:cry:

1 More Aussie
November 07, 2006, 19:59
By the way, ahven't tried Emu but I have tried Kookaburra. Out bush once and thought "why not"? Plucked, gutted and roasted on the end of a knife. Dark red meat and tasted like, uummmm..........SHIT! Very bitter.:eek: Not surprising I suppose, given what they eat. Lizards, spiders and small snakes. Not reccomended.

ftierson
November 07, 2006, 21:25
Originally posted by 1 More Aussie
By the way, ahven't tried Emu but I have tried Kookaburra. Out bush once and thought "why not"? Plucked, gutted and roasted on the end of a knife. Dark red meat and tasted like, uummmm..........SHIT! Very bitter.:eek: Not surprising I suppose, given what they eat. Lizards, spiders and small snakes. Not reccomended.

You ate the merry, merry King of the Bush?

Bummer...

:)

Forrest

doktor_ecchs
November 07, 2006, 22:10
Originally posted by ftierson
You ate the merry, merry King of the Bush?

Gay yer life must be...:biggrin:

as ever, in the ol' gum tree,

ftierson
November 07, 2006, 22:24
Originally posted by doktor_ecchs

You realize that we're giving our age away by knowing that little ditty...

It was one of my favorites as a kid...

And 1 More Aussie ate 'em...

Forrest

ftierson
November 07, 2006, 22:33

And, other readers, I should point out that in the day that this little song was written, 'gay' just meant happy...

Hmmm

At least I think that it did...

I was young enough back then that I might not have picked up on other meanings...

However, I think that they just said faggot back then when that's what they meant...

Forrest

doktor_ecchs
November 07, 2006, 22:34
You realize that we're giving our age away by knowing that little ditty...

I ain't coppin' to nuthin'...:wink:

as ever,

doktor_ecchs
November 07, 2006, 22:39
in the day that this little song was written, 'gay' just meant happy...

I know. Imagine that...:|

as ever,

1 More Aussie
November 07, 2006, 23:42
Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Merry merry king of the bush is he.

Laugh kookaburra, laugh kookaburra,
Gay your life must be.

When I'm alone with my five yo daughter I try teaching her another version.

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Shot him up the bum with a 303..............

That's generally the part where the wife walks up from behind and slaps me in the back of the head:wink: Daughter loves it:tongue:

ftierson
November 08, 2006, 23:13
Hey, Bprewit, I didn't mean to hijack your tread with my 'king of the bush' comment (although I enjoyed the responses)...

Sorry...

Back to eating emus...

Or not...

Forrest

ftierson
November 08, 2006, 23:15
Shit, I just realized that I mentioned Bush...

That should bring in several pages of comments bashing him from DABTL...

Sorry again...

Forrest

FTW2012
November 09, 2006, 01:27
I have heard emu is healthy food, tried eating it once didn't like it but I'm not big on poultry

MACV
November 13, 2006, 18:29
Isnt "Emu" also a brand of beer down under? I did eat some kangaroo meat when I was there. Went hunting for them with some local guys in the outback outside of Freemantle. Yes alcohol was involved, Emu and homemade wine.

bulletslap
November 18, 2006, 21:08
I ate some once, the guy that shot it said it was best ground up, and cooked like Salmon Croqutes. If that is how it is best, I think I'll pass on it in the future.

Andy the Aussie
November 18, 2006, 23:01
Originally posted by MACV
Isnt "Emu" also a brand of beer down under? .....it is....tastes like it was passed by one as well.....:uhoh: :rofl: :rofl:

L1A1Johnno
November 18, 2006, 23:35
In 68 we had to live on emu and roo while building roads in "out there" WA

Emu Rule One
One shoot the half grown ones
Rule two remove feathers
Rule three be real hungry
Rule four
just kiddin

Really
the meat is real good, tastes like a cross between turkey and lamb, straight out of the camp oven, a little damper, a drop or two of Angoves Shiraz, bit of a dance through the camp fire and a port or two, cant be beat. You have not lived until you have had a meal like this!!!
Also can't be beat the next day in sandwiches and if your mother has shown you how to do it correctly, you make a real good gravy that makes the sandwiches just PERFECT!!!
A bit of mint sauce does not hurt either!

Receipe for roo

Shot the smaller ones, butcher them and sell them to the local hamburger shop that the tourist buses use for a waterin hole. Silly buggers thought they were the best beef that they had ever tatsted!!!!!! And that was on Highway 1!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the Good Old Days -----Cheers, bottoms up, over the chin. over the tongue, watch out stomach, here it comes

Ye hah!!!!!

:fal: JohnnO

L1A1Johnno
November 18, 2006, 23:44
Forgot to mention the "secret additive"
The Emu Bitter in WA and the Victoria Bitter of Victoria cant be beat as a thrist crushing additive to any body, 12 or 15 of them will do wonders to a saggy arsed tired worn out little digger looking for an excuse to be a alround screw up

After about numero 6 you become very knowlegdeable on world matters and after 10, Einstien is a kindergarten teacher and it only gets better from there.
Of course not forgetting your "good looks" rating is also vastly improved by each "Green Granade"

Unfortunately, I speak though prior knowledge

Regards-- or perhaps Cheers!!!

:fal: Johnno

Eclipse
August 06, 2007, 07:37
Don't know about emu but Ostrich meat has similar taste and texture to goose.

bykerhd
August 06, 2007, 09:08
Never had it but I would think birds raised on commercial feed woul taste a whole lot better than those in the wild.

the diet in the wild from 1 More Aussie
Lizards, spiders and small snakes.

davedude
August 06, 2007, 09:50
Every time I go through Muenster, Texas I stop at Fischer's meat market and pick up some of the goodies there, nothin like it DFW area. Usually get me some o that awesome fine german sausage, pickled quail eggs and smoked chicken. Any ways they have on occasion emu products as they are raised around there. Tried some emu sausage and did not care for it much...tasted too much like guts....

Dave Dude

Powderfinger
August 06, 2007, 10:26
Never tried the emu. A local restaurant had it on the menu, but it's gone. I guess no one else tried it much either.:smile: They have yak still on the menu. Didn't try it either.
If you slice it thin and stir fry it with soy sauce, ginger and garlic I bet it would be good. Or black bean sauce.

easttex
August 06, 2007, 13:23
I've eaten emu chili before. It wasn't bad...but it didn't taste like beef or venison. I suppose I could have gotten used to it, but it just wasn't for me. If I want some red meat, I'll eat a cow.

I just couldn't bring myself to get excited about eating a 6' chicken.

Ned Flangers
August 08, 2007, 20:46
Is the kookaburra a man killing meat eating predator? At least that is what I have heard here in the Missouri USA. :confused:

Powderfinger
August 08, 2007, 23:29
It's a big ol' bird, mate.
Tastes like emu.:biggrin:

ggiilliiee
August 09, 2007, 11:01
had some emu pepperoni ....greasy kinda feel to it smells like a cross between vagisil and rat butt with a headdy yet picante after taste ....:]
really wasnt too bad ...

any body ever use the blue ointment infomercial stuff they squeeze out of the emu for joint and muscle pain ?????

g5
August 09, 2007, 13:38
As above. Dark meat. Good protein but not very tasty, at least to me.

whirlibird
August 09, 2007, 20:56
Tastes like chicken...BIG chicken!!! :eek: :uhoh:

as ever,

For some reason I have a vision of a beer can cooker using a pony keg....

mdlmkr 7.62
August 10, 2007, 01:05
I've never eaten Emu but I eat Crow on a regular basis! (just ask my wife!) :tongue:

7.62 :devil:

RT
August 17, 2007, 13:56
i bet in some parts of Jacksonville Florida, you could sell pickled emu feet. just like pigs feet. but how many can you get in a jar? :beer: :beer:

ggiilliiee
August 17, 2007, 18:57
thank god they dont fly ....my toyota has great windsheild wipers and squirts ...but that would be pushin it ....
ive got it ...had to dispatch an owl one time with a badly shattered wing .he was suffering .....and then i ate him ....thats what it tastes like !!!...i have a recipie for robin in orange sauce too if anyone wants it ...he now those are tasty

yarro
August 27, 2007, 22:48
I thought Ostrich was OK, emu could be eaten. Whenever I go to China, I always try to find new animals to eat. So far donkey on a skewer was the best, horse on a skewer was second best, and lamb on a skewer was third. I actually got them to show me how they cooked it and I now do lamb on the grill. I am not sure if camel and goat were bad because of the sauce that they were cooked in or the sauce was supposed to cover up the bad taste! Crocidile is bad. Turtle and snake taste equally good in Asia and North America. Black bear makes great spare ribs and only asians think animal feet have enough meat on them to bother cooking them.

-Yarro

Powderfinger
August 31, 2007, 11:49
Pig's feet are worth the bother, but I haven't had any in years.
I tried to instill some culture into my daughter by taking her to China Town in Seattle for a dim sum lunch when she was around 12 YO. When a cart arrived at the neighboring table with a platter of chicken feet piled high, the outing was a bust. I indulged her then with lunch at Red Robin on the wharf. I picked up a proper wok that day. When that baby is fired up on a 170,000 BTU propane cooker, it creates a little bit of Heaven.:love:

Kyrottimus
August 31, 2007, 15:46
Never got a chance to eat an Emu; I couldn't catch the damn thing.

Those things are fast! :cry:

Andy the Aussie
August 31, 2007, 18:22
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
thank god they dont fly ....my toyota has great windsheild wipers and squirts ...but that would be pushin it .... having had the unfortunate experience of hitting more than a few Emus on the road here the problem with them is that due to their height they don't bounce off the front of the vehicle but tend to fold up onto the hood and slide into the windscreen....
makes for a few tense moments in the vehicle let me tell you.

Andy

4 brigada
August 31, 2007, 18:29
There is a restuarant on the space tower in sydney, serves it up along with camel, kangaroo, crock and like 10 other types of meats. Its all you can eat so I tryed a little of everything. Sheraton in Jedda KSA has a all you can eat type restaurant that serves even more exotic meats, like the brazilian ones that are popular in the US. They all dont taste like chicken, most are pretty good some are excellent depens on your taste.

bon appetit

4 brigada

Story
August 31, 2007, 21:10
In South Africa, this greasy spoon was serving "monkey brain burgers".

Me: so what kind of meat is in this?

Young/pretty Boer waitress: you know, meat?

Me: Yes, but what kind of meat?

Young/pretty Boer waitress: you know, meat!

:confused:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the planet -

Friday, August 31, 2007

No more 'burnt lion's head'; Beijing cleans up menus for Olympics

BEIJING (AP) - Hungry visitors to next summer's Beijing Olympics won't have to struggle to decipher bizarre English mistranslations on restaurant menus.

Xinhua News Agency says the Beijing Tourism Bureau has released a list with thousands of proposed names for dishes and drinks, designed to replace confusing and sometimes ridiculous translations on menus. Foreigners are often stumped by dish names such as virgin chicken (a young chicken dish) or burnt lion's head (Chinese-style pork meatballs).

Other garbled names include the temple explodes the chicken cube (kung pao chicken) or steamed crap (steamed carp).

Xinhua notes these translations either scare or embarrass foreign customers and may cause misunderstanding about Chinese dietary habits.

It's the latest effort among Beijing Olympics organizers to clean up the city and ensure the best image is presented to the hundreds of thousands of visitors expected next summer.

Etiquette campaigns are afoot to stamp out bad manners like jumping ahead in line, spitting, littering and reckless driving. The revised menu names are part of an effort to ban unintelligible English, known as "Chinglish," that abounds on signs everywhere.

A team set up by the Beijing Municipal Foreign Affairs Office and Beijing Tourism Bureau has been working on the menu names for more than a year, Xinhua said. Translators developed names for dishes based on one of four categories: ingredients, cooking method, taste or the name of a person or place.

For example, a dish with mushrooms and duck feet will be listed as simply "Mushroom-Duck's Foot." Other proposed names include "Fish Filets in Hot Chili Oil" and "Crispy Chicken." "Mapo Tofu," a tofu dish, derives its name from a woman named Mapo.

Once a final decision is made on the list of names, they will be used in restaurants across China, Xinhua said.

The Canadian Press, 2007

Powderfinger
September 01, 2007, 12:03
I had the pleasure of traveling to China on a business trip with my BIL in 2000.
We met up with a group of locals in Shenzen who wined and dined us for lunch at the Second Century Seafood Palace. A whole array of courses where served.
When I asked one of the locals (who all spoke passable English) what one platter was, he stopped flicking his chopsticks for half a second to grunt "Beef, you eat". The Chinese have that face saving thing, so I wasn't sure if he didn't know what it was and said "Beef" to save face, or if he knew it was something a furiner wouldn't care for and said "Beef". Anyway, it was tasty along with the duck tongues, sea cucumber, crab stomach soup and duck skin taco type thingies. Beware the red chili paste.:uhoh: