PDA

View Full Version : Seized front sight

Shangrila
September 21, 2001, 09:21
I've got my lovely G1 kit from TAPCO sitting here and I can't get the *@#!*##@ front sight to come out. I've hit it with heat (MAPP) and am currently soaking it in Break-Free. Any suggestions on removing it without screwing up my sight? Any help appreciated.
:)

September 21, 2001, 09:48
This is what has worked for me every time. Be warned it takes time.

Soak with your favorite penetrating oil, leave it for a month, turns easily every time. I've been using LPS 2 for this task.

EMDII
September 21, 2001, 09:49
Kroil. CLP/Break Free will work.

Leave it immersed for several days. Strike it (the pin) sharply w/ a light brass hammer, downward. This will break the adhesions of the threads to the boss, and usually releases the foresight pin.

Avoid mushrooming the pin head.

stimpsonjcat
September 21, 2001, 10:48
Originally posted by EMDII:
<STRONG>Avoid mushrooming the pin head.</STRONG>

Avoid bending it too! Nothing would suck more than having to adjust windage everytime you adust elevation. Having 'fixed' several front sights...I can tell you a little wobble is a lot of windage.

Slugger
September 21, 2001, 12:15
Keep in mind this is second hand info but, FWIW, someone here made a tool out of a big straight blade screwdriver by cutting out a channel for the sight post and fitting the two leftover tangs to the sight holes. If you have an extra driver laying around it might be worth a shot????

-Slugger

gunplumber
September 21, 2001, 12:51
I have reached a point on some where no amount of coaxing would work. So I stuck a short pin punch in the hole and bashed it. Usually works. Often ruins the sight, but thats better than losing the barrel with good gas block. Then chase threads in hole and use new sight.

Shangrila
September 24, 2001, 00:07
Thanks all, been soaking and will continue to soak a while longer before resorting to bashology. Hope this works. Fill you in with results.
:eek:

kendwell
September 24, 2001, 09:35
seized parts: KROIL (plain) is hands down
best. will cut rust, dissolve gum, and is
hand kindly. get the "deal" @$30. gal cod
from KANO LABs 1000 thompson, nashville TN
This is the stuff we use to dissassemble
steam turbines 10 years after assembly
with 200+ ft lbs torque. best there is

PCSinc
September 24, 2001, 09:48
kendwell,

I agree...Kroil rules in our shops!!

kotengu
September 24, 2001, 12:30
So what would cause this condition in a "new" gun? I've noticed my STG front sight is getting harder and harder to turn, when it used to be easy. I don't particularly want to take it off and clean/lube it every time I shoot it, or I'll have to re-zero every time, too. Am I missing something?

Shangrila
September 26, 2001, 09:52
Success! After many hours of blood , sweat, tears, foul language, beer, and broken tools, the sight came loose when I mashed it with a pin punch. Deformed one of the ajustment holes a little, but still servicable. Thanks again all. :D

W.E.G.
September 26, 2001, 10:12
Yayyyy!!!
http://assaultweb.net/ubb/emoticons/108.gif

ByronF
September 26, 2001, 10:38
Originally posted by kotengu:
<STRONG>So what would cause this condition in a "new" gun? I've noticed my STG front sight is getting harder and harder to turn, when it used to be easy. I don't particularly want to take it off and clean/lube it every time I shoot it, or I'll have to re-zero every time, too. Am I missing something?</STRONG>

That would be crud. When you pull the front sight you can peer right down into the gas block innards.

comp1911
September 26, 2001, 11:43
I soaked the G1 with some WD, since i dont have a sight tool I had to WECSOG it. I used a snap ring pliers with a vise grips around it. Spun it right out. :cool:

omar
November 23, 2001, 20:24
This is a front sight tool I made while I'm sitting around, waiting for the rest of my stuff to get here. I cut down a 90-cent stainless 1/2" bolt to the shank, ground off the rough edge, stood it on end and drilled a 1/8" hole in the center, and 5/64" hole offcenter to accomodate one or two pins (one works best). I sacrificed a 5/64 titanium drill bit to use as the pins, but hardened dowels would work, too. The reason you see four holes is I screwed the first two up, and I'm not driving to the hardware store to get another one because the weather sucks at the moment. Anyway, I digress. I also drilled a 7/32" hole through the shank to accomodate a M-16 cleaning rod if you need more torque. If that doesn't work, put a big honkin 3/4 wrench on the bolt head. She'll turn. I haven't fastened the pins in the bolt yet, but I guess JB Weld or epoxy would work. That 1/2" shank sits almost perfectly in the front sight well, too, and no pressure will be placed against the front sight post if you drilled the center hole correctly.

G1 front sight tool album link: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1320253&a=14022872&f=0

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1320253&a=14022872&p=56691407&Sequence=1&res=high
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1320253&a=14022872&p=56691408&Sequence=1&res=high

stimpsonjcat
November 26, 2001, 12:28
Grrrr...wish I had a lathe!

Nice work!

ce
November 26, 2001, 13:53
Bash it out using a long .223 projectile and a ball peen hammer. Ruins the bullet, saves the sight. FMJ BULLET, not live ammo, ask yourself how I know.