PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel Pin?

Regal Beagal
October 30, 2006, 20:11
Now that I have my new barrel pin, what is the best method for driving it in? A friend of mine said the best way is it to support it in a vise and use the vise as a guide for the pin and drive it in from the side. Why not lay the barrel flat on one side, on the site flat and drive it in from the top? Of course, freezing the pin and heating the barrel assembly and receiver to make the process a little easier. Give me your $.02.

nutinauniversalshell
November 08, 2006, 00:23
I tried using a hammer on the pin after heating the receiver/trunnion and freezing the pin, and it worked BUT the pin and trunnion got marred a bit.

For the other 2 AKs I built/assisted with, we just took it to a machine shop. Had the barrel and pin pressed into the receiver/trunnion for $10/rifle. No marring, perfect alignment, fit, etc.

I'm sure there are ways to do it yourself, but for those of us limited in our tools the machine shop is a great way to go. Also, had the shop press the pins and barrels out originally for $10/rifle, then had a little welding done at $10. I think he figures whatever you ask is $10 if it takes little time so onthe next build I will probably try getting some stuff done at once and save a couple bucks.

XHardrock
November 08, 2006, 06:43
Originally posted by Regal Beagal
Why not lay the barrel flat on one side, on the site flat and drive it in from the top? Of course, freezing the pin and heating the barrel assembly and receiver to make the process a little easier. Give me your $.02.

Works for me, but I also chuck the pin in the drill and remove any burrs with emory.
Also helps for another set of hands to hold the assembly square.
Oh yea, grease it well.