PDA

View Full Version : Can headspace issues cause gas system problems?

hydrotx
September 20, 2001, 11:14
Other than blowing the gun up?

The reason I ask is I put together a front end and went to test fire. It closed on a go, did not close on a no go. It would not fire more than one round. I had an unrelated problem with the receiver so I sent it back to them barrelled and asked them to look at the gas system while it was there. The response I received was that the FTFs were due to the headspacing being off.

I'm still shaking my head concerning the headspacing though....

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Joel

EMDII
September 20, 2001, 11:20
Moved to Gunsmithing/BIY

W.E.G.
September 20, 2001, 12:19
Sounds unlikely.

Who is "them?"

hydrotx
September 20, 2001, 12:59
Gary,
Check yer e-mail.

Radio
September 21, 2001, 20:34
My first reaction was to remind your gunsmith that when shooting at longer ranges, the FAL design allows the bullet to travel farther by twisting the gas adjustment ring.

Seriously approaching the problem, AFAIK function will only be affected by TOO TIGHT headspace, where rounds will not chamber reliably. I was going to ask you which GO headspace gauges you used, Forster (1.630") or Clymer (1.632"), but the fact that you were able to chamber ANY GO gauge should mean your headspace is NOT too tight. Your post seems to imply the failure was to cycle, not chamber.

No, I still can't make sense of this. Does by any chance your gunsmith duct-tape trauma plates to his back?

--Radio