PDA

View Full Version : FAL Carry Handle Removal

Mr Haste
September 19, 2001, 21:57
I just put a scope on my L1A1, Century Arms... Sporter (Does that mean anything). Anyhow, I am new to this rifle and didn't receive a manual or anything. Now, I have the entire rifle disassembled, but I can't figure out how to get the Carry Handle off. The scope I have is to long and the carry handle is a possible threat to it. Meaning that if it catches something it will damage my scope. Also, I can't use it either.

So, how do I get it off? :confused:

W.E.G.
September 19, 2001, 22:07
Just unscrew the collar that secures the back end of the gas tube.

Bryan
September 19, 2001, 22:09
to remove the carrying handle you need to remove the part of the gas piston tube that threads into the reciever. It actually passes through the front of the receiver and fits inside the loop of metal that the handles rotates by.

I think I confused myself :)

Mr Haste
September 19, 2001, 22:41
I can't seem to get the collar to move at all. Hmm

Actually I think I am going to break something.

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: Mr Haste ]

Derby FALs
September 20, 2001, 00:03
Try heat on it. After it cools tap it off with a brass punch or something soft like that. Wood dowel works too, I hear. I use the Gas Reg tool. If you don't have one they are really handy.

MG-70
September 20, 2001, 09:17
Get a tool from DSA or you will scratch the collar. Meanwhile, practice with open sights. A lot of people don't like the carry handle, removing it is a common thing to do.

If you have the butt ugly thumbhole stock, you can reconfigure the rifle to something a little more normal by swapping the appropriate foreign parts for US equivalents.

For your more common questions -- disassembly, troubleshooting, etc., you can find the answers by searching FAQ.

Hang around, you'll like the rifle and the people here,
MG-70

fenian15
September 20, 2001, 21:54
STOP...save yourself the trouble...I've got a honker of a 3x9x50mm scope on one of my babies...I can't think that the carring handle would cause you any problem, since even the 50mm objective clears the handguards and scopemount by a good 1/8". Once you get the scope mounted, the carrying handle is actually out of the way, since both the handguards and scopemount sit up higher than the recess the handle is in.

Just leave the carrying handle folded down along the body and you should have no problem with a scope...unless your handle is really loose. Both my FALs have really tight handles, so they stay put.

p.s. I have the DSA mount on both my rifles...which mount are you using?

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: fenian15 ]