PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 -> Metric

colonist
September 19, 2001, 17:36
I've got a CAI frankenfal.... Very nice upper/barrel built on an Imbel receiver, and crappy L1A1 lower (with butthole stock).
I want to replace the crappy lower with a standard metric FAL lower. I have ordered a new metric lower w/ tube, and US-made H/T/S. (I will also be replacing the stock/pistol grip/handguards/gas piston/cocking handle.)

Other than the parts listed above, which of my current L1A1 miscellaneous lower parts (i.e. frame latch, selector, trigger plunger plate, trigger guard, springs, pins, etc.) will I be able to re-use on the metric lower.... and which ones will I need to purchase?

... and question #2: where to get said miscellaneous parts online? (I don't really want to buy a $100+ parts kit just to cannibalize a few pieces).

TIA.

shortround
September 20, 2001, 03:48
Jen is selling great refinished parts for a reasonable price. Gunthings also will have anything you need. Actually, I started looking for metric lower parts before the G1's came out. Your best (cheapest) bet may be buying a G1 kit and selling the parts you don't need (If you don't mind the hassle).

Cyoung
September 20, 2001, 15:30
I am in the same boat as Colonist here. DSARMS is not very clear on what 'kits' I need to convert my Frankenfal into a non-thumhole stock configuration. What part combinations do most folks swap out to meet the legal requirements?

EMDII
September 20, 2001, 16:11
Originally posted by Cyoung:
<STRONG>I am in the same boat as Colonist here. DSARMS is not very clear on what 'kits' I need to convert my Frankenfal into a non-thumbhole stock configuration. What part combinations do most folks swap out to meet the legal requirements?</STRONG>

The problem for bung-hole stocks is the lost PG stud. MOST such stocks cut/grind/ or otherwise do away w/ the PG stud. Can be problematical at best.

Most thumbhole stocks are using the mag follower/mag baseplate part. You must acquire two replacements , after you determine what is already American-made.

Parts available:
H/S/T
Piston
PG
HG (counts as one piece)
Buttstock
Receiver
Charging Handle
Barrel
Muzzle Device
Mag follwer
Mag floorplate
Lower (Trigger Mechanism Housing)

Cyoung
September 21, 2001, 07:52
Ok, I noticed DSARMS has a whole lower assembly that counts as five parts. How many more parts will I need to change to be pistol-grip legal?

W.E.G.
September 21, 2001, 09:42
At http://www.cruffler.com/review-february-00.html
the Cruffler said, "FAL's were made in two distinct subcategories - those with measurements and screw thread specifications set to metric measurements, and those with those dimensions set to Imperial or "Inch" measurements. This is misleading as both are made to inch
dimensions. They are better refered to as "European and
Commonwealth" patterns, as Australia, Britain, Canada (ABC or
Commonwealth - New Zealand and New Guinea and a few others, too, BTW) use one set of componants and the other countries use the European pattern. Complete assemblies are interchangable, as well as most small part, but parts within the assemblies are not
interchangeable. For examble, a complete metric bolt and carrier will fit in either gun, but extractor springs are different. A complete lower can be used on any gun, but the pin diameters for the trigger and hammer are different. The only true metric is israeli, which is somewhat unique, although again, complete assemblies can we swapped."

To keep from pulling out too much of your hair, you might just want to spring for the $60 complete IMBEL lower receiver assembly (sans stock) at http://www.falparts.com/parts.asp

Those new stripped metric lowers from TAPCO are schweet.

colonist
September 21, 2001, 13:45
The problem for bung-hole stocks is the lost PG stud. MOST such stocks cut/grind/ or otherwise do away w/ the PG stud. Can be problematical at best.

This is one good reason I'm scrapping the L1A1 lower for an STG. Also, there are many more US-made stocks/PGs (e.g. DSA's X stockset, which I've ordered) for metric lowers.

I've decided to buy a complete new-condition STG metric lower, replace H/T/S, PG, and stock with US made. Sell the original parts to offset the extra cost of US-made.

Timber Wolf
September 22, 2001, 21:46
This is a little WECSOG buts works, I have done it. Get one of TAPCO's "Indian" L1A1 stripped lowers ($11). This lower takes all Inch pattern parts EXCEPT the buttstock which is Metric! The lower tang slot had to be extended slightly on the one I did. Get the cheap Penguin Metric stock (and a metric butt pad) (I used a STG stock but the Penguin should work fine), US Inch made HTS, and US Inch p-grip (Brownell's or Dan at VOW), the rest of your L1A1 lower parts will fit. You now have 5 US parts just in your lower! Slap in a US piston and you are done. This may be a easier way to go than trying to find all the small metric stuff. The reason I did it was I prefer the Inch grip. If wood is your thing maybe DAN or Ironwood would sell you a Inch grip with a Metric Butt and forend and you would not need the piston.