PDA

View Full Version : Which Kind of MAPP Torch

DuaneFrye
September 19, 2001, 17:29
Will the single-bottle type work for muzzle brakes or do I need the kind with oxygen bottle. They have both at Home Depot.

September 19, 2001, 18:08
The ones with the hose are pretty handy. I like it better than the tank mounted torch head.

Levin
September 19, 2001, 18:08
Don't get the one with the oxygen bottle, it's a waste. It has no way to draw oxygen from the air and MUST have the bottled oxygen to work. The single bottle type uses oxygen from the air and gets hot enough to melt 1200 degree solder. Just how hot it gets I don't know, but more than enough for gun smithing.

paladin6
September 19, 2001, 18:19
Mapp (a registered trademark of B.O.C.)is methyl acetylene-propadiene
56% lp gas
It will get hot enough to braze, Oxy/Acetylene however gets the job done quicker and with far more precision. You will be heating that sucker with mapp for a couple of minutes and make sure you are familiar with the torch it has differant heats depending on how open the valve is. I use this stuff almost daily for plumbing, works great. Personaly a small little tig weld is the best method for gun defamation, but if you ain't got a tig welder.......
A

Snakeshot
September 19, 2001, 22:12
Get the single bottle torch with MAPP gas.
If you plan to use it often, get the igniter.
Plenty hot enough.

MG-70
September 20, 2001, 09:25
Regular bronze nozzle/head $13
Yellow MAPP canister $8

Performing the work yourself and having it actually work -- Priceless!

Good luck,
MG-70

PS. Careful not to set the Huggies on fire!
PPS. Home Depot prices.

W.E.G.
September 20, 2001, 09:43
I got mine at Sears. Just a regular-sized yellow cylinder with a screw-on nozzle attachment that looks like a straight-pipe with a built-in push-button igniter on the pipe. Starts first time every time. Gets muzzle thingy hot enough to melt silver solder in about two minutes.

stimpsonjcat
September 20, 2001, 11:12
Pushbutton MAPP torch aso great for lighting fireworks!!!! :D