PDA

View Full Version : SKS not cycling, any thoughts? ctx.

Caspian
April 11, 2002, 07:07
My century $99 SKS is giving me problems. i've checked the gas port and there are no obstructions. The chamber is polished and clean. The hang-ups aren't in either of those two locations.
Any other trouble spots?

Regards,
Caspian

HD99FXR3
April 11, 2002, 07:22
i don't have a sks but i'm thinking that any gas operated rifle will have similier FTE,FTF remedies, seems like there was somebody with same problem about 2 weeks ago who changed gas tubes. try search function(SKS not cycling) did you clean all residues from springs, etc.? hth

Caspian
April 11, 2002, 07:56
I tried the search in the gunsmithing forum using the keyword "SKS" and came up empty.

i replaced the gas tube, no luck
replaced the bolt/bolt carrier, no luck.
replaced the recoild spring, no luck.

my $99 deal is quickly becoming a $99 headache.

HD99FXR3
April 11, 2002, 08:02
try looking in general discussion forum, will sks function correctly when you manually cycle bolt?

Caspian
April 11, 2002, 08:18
yep, it's a single shot SKS.

i'll try searching there. thanks

DriftPunch
April 11, 2002, 09:12
While disassembled, insert the piston into the gas block. Does it look like it's getting a reasonalbe seal? Too loose, and the gas will simply escape around the piston rather than pushing is back.

TrooperDan
April 11, 2002, 10:00
Caspian;

Have you checked the gas block carefully? If it is badly eroded/corroded that is likely your problem.
As for a solution, there are several that have been tried, all with some degree of success. There should be a groove in the upper end of the gas block where the gas tube goes over it. A piece of 20 gage wire in that groove might help. Some guys have located a rubber "O" ring in their local plumbing department that will fit over the gas block in that groove. Others have used a snap ring in that groove. If the groove is worn away, it is Dremel time, to make a small groove with a grinding point or a cutoff wheel. And there is always my favorite, JB Weld!

I'm sure that somewhere in the world there is a standard copper gasket, similar to a spark plug gasket that would fit right on that houseing and solve our problems as well!

Dan in NC

cc48510
April 11, 2002, 10:44
1) Check Gas Block for Gas Flow by removing Gas Tube and placing a piece of cardboard taped against gas port where gas tube attaches. Fire. If the cardboard doesn't blow off, then there is an obstruction in the Gas Block.

2) Check Gas Tube. Visually inspect by running Gas Piston back and forth.

3) Check Gas Piston for seal.

Now, you might wish to simply replace the Gas Piston with a $20 US Gas Piston. This should allow you at a later date to use a Detachable US Magazine as long as you use a US Stock (I.E. Below 10 Imported Parts).

cc48510
April 11, 2002, 10:47
Forgot to mention:

5) Check Operating Rod (Not the Charging Handle, but the true operating rod). This is located between the rear sight/trunion and Bolt Carrier. This small rod is pushed into the Bolt Carrier by the Gas Piston.

Caspian
April 11, 2002, 11:09
thanks guys. with your advise, i took book tape (thick clear tape) and wrapped the gas port. fired it. the tape blew off and was covered with debris.
looks like it's time to find an o-ring.

thanks again,
caspian

Russ
April 11, 2002, 12:30
When relatively new to semi-auto rifles I bought a pair of SKS paratroopers (short barrelled) --both were single shot from the word go. Problems was --DO NOT OIL THE OPERATING RODS --for some reason they immediately pick up residue and the friction slows the action enough to FTE. For me, just dry-cleaning the rods was all it took and presto --flawless functioning.
Russ

withergyld
April 11, 2002, 14:34
There is a small op rod between the gas piston and the bolt. it sits inside the reciever below the rear sight. the hole for it is in almost the same exact place that the hole is for the FAL gas piston to hit the bolt carrier.
1 is the part there with it's return spring?
2 has all of the cosmoline and other junk been cleaned off the little op rod and the hole cleaned?