PDA

View Full Version : Israeli HB problems

Reo
April 10, 2002, 20:55
It's time to get the experts help. I have been dealing with an extraction problem for some time now and need your help. After 30-40 rounds the rifle will jamb and not extract spent cases out of the chamber. So far replacing lots of parts has not helped. The rifle started out as a parts kit on an Imbel, assembled by a gun smith. After not performing as expected the first item to be changed was a new Israeli barrel from DSA,
than a new gas set up. Next changed the bolt out of a STG58 and rehead spaced. next put the orginal Israeli bolt back with a new extractor and rehead spaced. I run the gun fairly dry and use a chamber brush. When a spent round jambs in the chamber the bolt cycles back pulling part of the case rim off and tries to put the next round forward. After clearing the rifle it takes alot of force on the charging handle to extract the round. I have run out of parts to replace. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FWRA
April 10, 2002, 21:31
Reo,
Why not give it back to the gunsmith to have him figure it out?

Seems to me if what you are explaining here is the case(the gunsmith did replace a bunch of parts) maybe you should ask for an exchange or something.

You've done about all you can do make it work.

I can only think of a couple of questions to ask you.

What ammo are you shooting? If it has been "headspaced" and then "re-headspaced", what is the headspace now?

FWRA

capman
April 11, 2002, 09:44
Reo,

Just had a similar problem with my Izzy Heavy barrel.

The original Izzy extractor is the one piece design that uses a simple spring that looks like a bobby pin. This only provides marginal extractor gripping power (and probably a lot less after being used for decades, then sold as surplus).

I suggest you switch to the 2 piece extractor that has tons of gripping power. The easiest way to do this is with a new bolt. You mentioned you already tried a new bolt, was it a 2 piece extractor? Was the original bolt a 2 piece or 1 piece?

If both bolts (or at least the replacement bolt) are 2 piece extractor style, then you have another problem. If this is the case, your chamber could be very rough or pitted (or dirty), or your gas port could be too large causing too much of an initial surge of the bolt during primary extraction.

Check your bolts and let us know what you find. If you have a hard time telling the diff between 1 piece and 2 piece extractors, let me know and I'll " take you to extractor school" :cool:

cap

Reo
April 11, 2002, 16:55
Hey thanks for the info. Unfortunately I now live 4 states away from the original gun smith. The STG bolt that was used temporarily had a 2pc extractor. When I put the israeli bolt back in I replaced the 1pc extractor and spring with new parts. I use whatever ammo is available S. African, Britsh, israeli and even Federal match with same results after 30-40 rounds. how do you check for rough chamber?

capman
April 11, 2002, 21:11
Chamber should be glass smooth. wrap a solvent soaked patch around a brush, it should slide in and out like butter, compare it to a known new rifle.

You may also have a headspace problem. What does the fired brass that ejects correctly look like? Is it bulged at the base about 1/16" above the rim? There should be no bulges. Excess headspace will cause the head to bulge and make extraction very hard. Just because the "smith" said the headspace was OK doesn't mean squat. Check the headspace.

cap