PDA

View Full Version : How Loose Should a Magazine Be in the Mag Well?

Apache7
April 10, 2002, 18:28
Howdy All,

I am looking at a FAL to buy. The magazine seems to move some, especially front to back, inside the magazine well. Is this common or is something out of spec?

By the way, this FAL is metric with an inch mag release.

Thanks

Shrike
April 10, 2002, 18:35
Metric mags in an inch FAL are fine, and will "wobble" a little bit. If it is made by century, watch out.
Mike

Apache7
April 10, 2002, 18:45
Thanks for the reply Shrike.

The receiver and magazine are metric, only the magazine release is inch. The receiver is a DSA.

Shrike
April 10, 2002, 19:04
Cant go wrong with a DSA... If there is something wrong with the magwell, i'm sure DSA will fix it free of charge.
Mike

Upside Down @ 100 MPH
April 10, 2002, 21:31
I have a receiver that the mag well was so loose that it would let the the front of the mag unhook, letting it drop down when firing, jamming the gun. It took a spot of weld on the ejector block to tighten things up. It's ok now but I shouldn't have had to do this. Steyr mags would do it but Belgian mags wouldn't. The front hook on the Belgian mags protruded farther than the one on the Steyr mags.

All I'm going to say is that it was NOT a DSA receiver.

aleph_beth
April 11, 2002, 07:12
try prying the mag front catch out just a little bit 1/16'' or so,maybe even less. mag metal is usually soft so it doesnt take much force . fwiw.. new belgian mags fit an imbel real tight first few times, then after about 60 rounds they show same wobble you describe.

Apache7
April 11, 2002, 08:15
Thanks all for the info.