PDA

View Full Version : Coonan receivers

FALJUNKIE
April 10, 2002, 09:58
I know these receivers have been out long but has anyone done builds on them and what do you think? :confused:

Queenie
April 10, 2002, 10:06
I should get one this week some time. Maybe I'll be a good test for this receiver. I've never built an FAL before. ;) I just had to have a Type 1 for the G1 kit I have. The results are going to be a few weeks away though as I am still trying to get the shop set up in the garage.

perdurabo
April 10, 2002, 13:20
Where can you get the Coonan receivers? What types do they come in and about what price range do they fall in?

W.E.G.
April 10, 2002, 14:33
Federal Arms Company is the distributor.

http://www.gunsnstuff.net/assets/images/autogen/a_fafal1-1_GS.jpg
http://www.gunsnstuff.net/html/fal_upper_receiver.html

Falcon
April 10, 2002, 16:32
The Gunplumber did a draft review, here is a link to it...DCI/FAC review (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/falfac/pagefalfac.htm)

avanarts
April 10, 2002, 17:48
Are these receivers parkerized? I understand that Enterprise is blueing theirs now and that is what I want for my G1. If the Coonan receivers are offered blued then I would probably order one of them.

ratas calientes
April 10, 2002, 18:00
When I last ordered a couple of Entreprise "file-to-fit" receivers they came standard with black oxide finish; one could request parkerized for a few extra dollars. If I remember correctly it cost me another $10 for park on a Type 1. This was back in late fall '01.

Ratas

HD99FXR3
April 11, 2002, 07:32
please correct me if i'm not seeing straight, but it looks like the oval relief for tail on LS is missing, the hole is there but not the relief, went to web page given by gary (bigger pic.) i just don't see it. :eek:

45/70
April 11, 2002, 08:19
I can tell you that the two that I just received do indeed have the proper LS hole. I do, however, see the same thing you do, in the picture...

So far It looks to me as though these are a fine piece. Rough machining in the large flat areas, is a little distracting, but everything looks to be very functional. I'll know more in a couple days. I will say that both G-1 barrels, I turned on by hand, timed at or about 11:00. This is exactly what I hoped for. Now I just have to wait till I can get a Rec. wrench and bbl vice.

Wadman
April 11, 2002, 13:39
The keyed slot or kidney shaped cutout for the LS isn't there? I thought that's what helps align the locking shoulder face and keeps it from rotating.

Derby FALs
April 11, 2002, 22:58
Appears to be black oxide. Looks like the cast is poured from arounf the frame lock area. Mine has casting pits there. :eek:
They have the oval cut out for the LS. And it is not offset like the one GP reviewed. Mine is going to take a .272 LS to headspace though. That is rather disappointing.

BamaFal
April 12, 2002, 19:33
I have built two using this receiver. The first took a .274 LS :rolleyes: , SN within 9 of the GP review sample, and the second took a .260. :D

I had to file the underside of both receivers in the locking lug area because an instep was left from maching which would bind on the lower receiver. The first required filing about a 1/16 off of both rails. The second receiver required filing on one side only.

The third receiver, and final of three, does not look like it will require filing, but I will find out soon. I want the LS to be .260 as well. :D

I am not sorry I bought them. Just wanted them to fit like legos :D. I would buy these receivers again.

FALJUNKIE
April 12, 2002, 19:41
Thanks for the posting and keep them coming. After some of the rifles are done and have a few thousand rds through them we can get a good idea on how they are. If Coonan gets his website straighten out maybe we can order direct.

L1A1 shooter 1
April 12, 2002, 22:39
looks like they're are still on the learners curve,,think i'll wait a bit longer..who was it that had those gear logo imbels,,,lol ;)

WhoMe?
April 12, 2002, 22:55
Hope this helps:
TAPCO G1/FAC Type 1 Build (http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000865)
:)

Falfegnügen
April 13, 2002, 20:05
BamaFal, Those weren't these Type-3 FAC receivers you used were they? For some reason I was thinking the FAC type-3's were actually Hesse, and not the Type-1 Coonan? Maybe I'm all mixed up (as usual).

Originally posted by BamaFAL:
<STRONG>I have built two using this receiver. The first took a .274 LS :rolleyes: , SN within 9 of the GP review sample, and the second took a .260. :D

I had to file the underside of both receivers in the locking lug area because an instep was left from maching which would bind on the lower receiver. The first required filing about a 1/16 off of both rails. The second receiver required filing on one side only.

The third receiver, and final of three, does not look like it will require filing, but I will find out soon. I want the LS to be .260 as well. :D

I am not sorry I bought them. Just wanted them to fit like legos :D. I would buy these receivers again.</STRONG>

BamaFal
April 13, 2002, 22:46
Hi Falophile,

Yea, it was the Coonan built Type 1. Looked great coming out of the box. Put it on a nice stg58 kit, short barrel - shoots sweet :D After spinning on the barrel and head spacing complete, I installed the pivot pin and attempted to lock up with the lower. Not happening. Too much metal, a few strokes of a good file and not a problem, good tight lockup front to back and side to side.

The .274 was a disappointment :( But having to file the area around the lug was the kicker. I compared all 3 receivers for the machine work in the lug area and they were all different. The last being the one that looked the way it should. I look at it as an opportunity to learn, have fun and BUILD more FALS.

I bought 3 of the Coonan type 1 receivers back in early Jan., along with type 3 Imbel non-logo receivers, all from FAC. My first build was on a G1 kit with an Imbel, that was the one where I had to learn enough to know that I needed to learn more :D Thanks to you and a long list of other distinguished members ;)

I am now up to 3 completed kits, with more to do :p but I have been able to handle this new addiction, I mean it was only a few minutes ago that I returned back from the Tapco site, I mean I only stopped by for an hour. Naw, couldn't have been that long :confused: I did print the order sheet, I mean it was only a short one, okay maybe it is a little longer than short, well, it is shorter than legal, really it is :p

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: BamaFAL ]

Falfegnügen
April 14, 2002, 12:10
Yep, I figured I was all mixed up. I wouldn't have posted, but I took a really close look at those pictures which you sent a couple months ago and noticed they were type-3's. Of course it was very silly of me to think that a true Faloholic wouldn't have built more rifles since then... ;)