PDA

View Full Version : G1 kits?

flashx
September 18, 2001, 17:15
Have any of you gotten a G1 lately? Ive been waiting about three weeks for mine to be shipped. Any good news?

September 18, 2001, 20:20
Mine came today from DSA. I opted for the refinished kit, which is very nice.

srgreg1
September 19, 2001, 14:18
I got my G1 kit from Tapco yesterday. The barrel bore was in excellent shape, but the finish was almost completely gone and the handguards were beatup. The buttstock was in good shape with only one deep gouge. I was disappointed that it came with a plastic pistol grip and not a wood one.

EMDII
September 19, 2001, 14:58
Unless you specifically requested the wood PG, Tapco probably grabbed the next good kit (sounds like you got a good kit)- rebuildable, good bore, decent furniture, solid metal to refinish.

MOST of the HGs had some dents, and most I saw could be hammered out IF you absolutely wanted the German set. Otherwise, use the Tapco StG replacement HG.

Enjoy!

flashx
September 19, 2001, 17:24
I ordered a handpicked from Tapco about 3 weeks ago. Im hoping it shows up soon. As long as i get decent wood and barrel i can fix the rest How long did it take to get yours srgreg1?

barnpatrol
September 20, 2001, 14:34
I got my TAPCO kit yesterday. Initial impression, very nice. Buttstock has a few dings, handguards in good shape, barrel looks super (but will know more after I take a look at home). Appears to be in better condition than my group-buy kits and I wasn't dissappointed in them.

chinchilla
September 22, 2001, 08:28
Got 2 from Tapco. Both had good clean bores. Both had little finish left. All parts look to be in good usable condition. One had beat up handguards. One had cracked butt stock. One wood pg. I am going to build the nicest of them. The worst of the 2 would still make a nice shooter, just wouldn't be as pretty ;) . Ordered one from Fed Arms too. Still waiting for it.

nfa-user
September 23, 2001, 00:22
I got 2 kits from Tapco on Thursday...handguards on both kits are trashed. Everything else is in very nice shape...I started stripping the wood Thursday night and cut both the receiver stubs off Sat night. The butt plates look very good, just need a little bit of finish, as does the rest of the 2 kits. Here are some pics of the kits after I disasemled them..... G1 pics (http://members.home.net/randy1001/temp/g1falpics/) :rolleyes:

redneck whitesox PBR
September 23, 2001, 09:32
My Tapco kit was much better than expected. The front end was beautiful with 95% of the finish and a Mint bore. the lower has all wood furniture that will refinish nice.
http://ak.ar15.com/members/albums/RedneckWhitesoxPBR%2FP1010004%2EJPG

http://ak.ar15.com/members/albums/RedneckWhitesoxPBR%2FP1010005%2EJPG

FootLongCuban
September 25, 2001, 22:47
Has anyone seen any REALLY nice matching number kits?

sparky
September 25, 2001, 23:09
FLC my very good DSA refinished G1 had matching bolt, carrier and lower.

FWRA
September 26, 2001, 06:45
Originally posted by FootLongCuban:
<STRONG>Has anyone seen any REALLY nice matching number kits?</STRONG>

Hi FLC,
These G1 kits came into country in bins of parts and pieces so the odds of getting any matching numbered kits is about the same as winning the Power Ball Lottery.

Of course, as my Dad used to say, "you can't win if you don't buy a ticket." (Thousands of dollars later I have yet to win.) ;-)

And my brother-in-law has this famous saying:
"The odds are 50-50. Either you will win or you wont."

So I guess your chances ARE 50-50. :-)

Mark

sparky
September 26, 2001, 09:15
Matching barrel no. But several have got matching bolt and carrier and some have got matching lower also on DSA refinished Mark.

Big-J
September 26, 2001, 16:54
Both of my DSA refinished kits had matching bolt, bolt carrier, and lower. Neither of the barrels matched, but they were in excellent condition. HTH

Slugger
September 26, 2001, 19:21
Big fan of the refinished DSA kits here! I've got 6 now and each one looks good. All came with the plastic grip, but from what I've been seeing, many will end up replacing a broken grip anyway. Out of the 6 (ordered in 3 separate shipments) 3 have matching lower, bolt and carrier. I'm very pleased!

-Slugger

BILL W
March 23, 2002, 16:52
got my g1 from dsa, refinished, with new handguards, new pistol grip,plastic buttstock , barrell very nice,also got new 21"usa barrell, wood buttstock and pistol grip ok ,and a very nice steel buttplate, for only 275.00 will be buying another soon,BILL, ps was missing gas tube and lock open assy, called and told them , they sent them out right away. :D

avanarts
March 23, 2002, 20:06
My kit from TAPCO came in with the barrel number matching the lower. The bolt and carrier numbers match each other but not the lower and barrel. The number on the flashhider was also different, but I figure it was switched at some time in the past as the front end was still assembled.

The kit was in surprisingly nice condition.

jaybob
March 23, 2002, 20:18
My kit was well worn on the outside. Buttstock was good but painted brown. My barrel, bolt carrier, bolt, and lower all matched.

MyKeySee
March 23, 2002, 20:36
I got my G1 kit from Tapco yesterday and the kit was in the same shape as PBR's. My barrel and lower #,s match. I was impressed, the kit is in such good shape I won't even need to refinish it. :D :D :D

hipowr
March 23, 2002, 22:56
Originally posted by Redneck Whitesox PBR:
<STRONG>My Tapco kit was much better than expected. The front end was beautiful with 95% of the finish and a Mint bore. the lower has all wood furniture that will refinish nice.
http://ak.ar15.com/members/albums/RedneckWhitesoxPBR%2FP1010004%2EJPG

http://ak.ar15.com/members/albums/RedneckWhitesoxPBR%2FP1010005%2EJPG </STRONG>

Wow, was that a handpick?? I hope mine is just like that one :>...

later,
AJ

Kharn
March 24, 2002, 10:56
We should make people who paid the handpick fee put a notice at the top of their posts, so the cheap-a$$es (like myself) don't expect too much. 5 days till I get to see my G1 kit. :( (gotta wait for spring break before I can get home)

Kharn