PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal FAL

DuaneFrye
September 18, 2001, 12:07
OK guys, this should bring out some opinions.

For my next project, I'm considering building a HB Franken-FAL utilizing the heavy barrel kit from Gunparts, Inc. I know it'll weigh a ton at least, but I'm thinking about long range shooting.

My question is: Which parts (surplus) would be most desirable? Starting with the receiver, Inch or Metric? The magazine catch on the inch seems more user-friendly than the metric, as does the selector (safety) lever. What would it take to make them fit a metric lower? Should you go with a Inch to start with? Which muzzle brake is more efficient? Commercial trigger parts would probably be DSA. What could be done to ensure uniform bolt lockup? Where to polish?

All opinions gratefully accepted.

runningiron
September 18, 2001, 12:18
If you want DSA H/S/T, you'll have to go with metric. Metrics have more USA parts availability. I like the inch safty/selector, too. Someone posted a few weeks back how to install on a metric. Take a big flat bladed screwdriver and place it flush against the lower with the blade resting on the protuding stud and give it a whack with a hammer. The stud will snap right off. It worked like a charm for me. The inch safty will then work just fine.

Snakeshot
September 18, 2001, 16:46
The one that sits near me that I have put over a thousand rounds through without a single malfunction.
That I built myself. :D

Batman
September 18, 2001, 20:51
I would go for an Izzy HB kit build. these are really nice (heavy) guns but man are they built. Having built over a dozen FAL's to date I would recommend an inch lower with a DSA receiver that was made into an inch configuration. I don't think the mag catch on the inch is better, I'd go with the metric there. The safety selector should be inch. Making inch parts fit metric receivers is not a big deal, just some file work. I wouldn't use a muzzle brake. for the most part they are noisy and don't really add to accuracy. DSA is fine for fire control parts and as far as uniform bolt lockup I don't think that is a big deal if you get a good kit to start off with.

kfranz
September 19, 2001, 08:39
Long range shooting isn't going to be aided by the Heavy Barrel in this case. It was designed for sustained firing rather than accuracy at distance. If you already knew that, disregard this post...As for metric/inch preference, I prefer the Izzy mag release to the standard metric, which I prefer over the inch.

Master Blaster
September 19, 2001, 08:47
Metrics have more USA parts availability.

Until about a six or seven months ago I would have agreed with this assessment completely, but that is not the case anymore. The availability of Inch parts is no longer an issue, with VOW,FSE,RPB,TAPCO,IronWood,and CAI all offering U.S. parts. To say nothing of the U.S. companies making receivers. I originally did not want to mess with the Inch guns because supply was a problem. Now that the situation is reversed I have had two inch guns built and I find that I really appreciate the Inch rifles more than the Metrics.

MG-70
September 19, 2001, 21:50
DLF,
My recommendation is to stick with as close to OEM configuration as possible (ever seen those offbeat one-of-a-kind guns on Bower's?). In the case of the Israeli HB, you won't find an Israeli receiver, so I recommend you use either a metric Imbel or DSA.

Actually, my first recommendation is for you to try one -- they're not for everyone, more show than go...and that's coming from someone who has one.

Regards,
MG-70

W.E.G.
September 20, 2001, 13:14
At least the metric receivers are still affordable.

Inch receivers are currently available, but seriously overpriced.

Timber Wolf
September 20, 2001, 17:16
MG-70, Entreprise sells a "Israel" marked receiver threaded for the IZZY barrel I understand.

MG-70
September 20, 2001, 18:04
Timber Wolf, you're absolutely right, I forgot about that. Not sure about the type originally used on the Israeli HBs...

I'd still opt for Imbel, then DSA, in that order.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

MG-70

runningiron
September 20, 2001, 20:18
I like the inch style guns. The sight plane is better for me. I also like the selector, mag release, and carry handles better. I was a little to general with my comment on availability. You can find just about everything, nowadays. What I haven't been able to find is a US inch pattern synthetic buttstock. Does anyone make one or even contemplating making one? I have two inch kits waiting to build at the Texas Park-n-party in October.

Viking Warrior
September 20, 2001, 20:58
The Ideal FAL? after you are done building it send it to me with a thousand rounds of Hirt, shipping is on you...Haleluyah :D