PDA

View Full Version : Building a kit rifle on the cheap

tReznr
September 17, 2001, 18:39
You'll have to forgive my newbie questions, but I tried to look around first and didn't find the info I needed. With that said:

Where is the best place to purchase a FAL parts rifle? Where is the best deal online on upper recievers (I hear Imbel are the ones to get, but I can't find a manufacture website). What other parts will I need? What other cost considerations are there? What tools should I buy (if the first rifle turns out decent I'd like to do a few others)? I'm planning to buy the video and cd-rom so that I won't be taking a random stab at this.

What do I have to do to document that that the seven parts I install are American made to keep the BATF off my back? Where is the most cost effective place to buy these seven pieces?

And lastly, am I forgeting anything? :confused:

1gewehr
September 17, 2001, 18:55
GunPlumber's video and CD should answer many of your questions.
Good deals are found in Shotgun News. At least that will give you a starting point. Go to the various vendors' web sites.

FAL building Tools:
Really Big bench Vise (6" minimum)
Receiver wrench
Buttstock and grip tool
Extractor tool
Dremel with many cut-off wheels and polishing set

As for documenting the 'good' parts, just save the sales receipt. TAPCO is a good place to buy those parts.

Others will doubtless add whatever I have missed.
1gewehr

ricochet
September 17, 2001, 19:04
The advice already given is good advice. I will only add my opinion on one thing.
The hammer, trigger, and sear is not the place to save a few bucks. The better ones are FSE or DSA. The others may or may not be able to be made work. I bought 2 sets of cheap parts (Century) that had worthless hammers. By the time I bought usable hammers, I didn't save zilch. Others have different luck, but I would recommend the TAPCO $49 FSE set, or the other package sets thru TAPCO. The FSE sets are clearly marked USA, the DSA sets are real good, but costly and unmarked.

Derby FALs
September 17, 2001, 19:45
For $60 he can have everything for a G1 kit from RPB USA (http://www.rpbusa.com/FNFAL/FNFALs.html)

FN/FAL Metric Parts Set FNM21 $60.00
Set includes: mag follower, floor plate,Trigger, hammer,sear and
metric pistol grip,USA marked, A-2 steel, CNC machined)

They answer the phone 24-7 and ship super fast

W.E.G.
September 17, 2001, 20:07
A very thorough run-through of how to do it right, and what tools you need, is at http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01.html

stimpsonjcat
September 18, 2001, 11:29
Ok Derby, while that is a legit build option...and damn sure the cheapest...He wouldn't be able to use any import mags in it legally.

Not an option for me as I have piles of import mags.

No flame...just a heads up.

tracyballard
September 15, 2008, 00:38
Originally posted by tReznr

What do I have to do to document that that the seven parts I install are American made?

it will probably never come up...

combat engineer
September 15, 2008, 07:29
AHH, as we again harkin back to yesteryear, in a galaxy long ago and far away.

"Hi Yo Silver" "Gettum Up Scout!"

Tracy, your such an old thread chaser!

Lrp
September 15, 2008, 14:09
LOL....actually some very good information for some of us "old" new guys. Thanks. :biggrin:

prosecond
September 15, 2008, 22:09
I built my first one using an open end wrench on the barrel flats and made a receiver wrench with a piece of scrap aluminum. I paid a local gunsmith a few bucks to headspace it and I was good to go.

Radio
September 16, 2008, 05:44
I was thinking, "who IS this idiot??" since there are about a thousand threads on this topic choking the FAQ...

...until I saw the date. :rofl:

Ron Walker
September 16, 2008, 12:21
I, too, have noticed several ancient threads being resurrected. Nearly fell for the Casey Elliot one because that vise looked so good, then I noticed the date.
Some people have waaayyy too much time on their hands. As an old timer once said "Bored?? I'll throw you a live rattlesnake and you won't be bored for a spell." Ron

tracyballard
September 16, 2008, 12:28
you've got to pick a good one to resurrect. I mean, if you pick one that says something about $89 IMBEL kits in the title people will know its from years ago. It take some thought, and of course, lots of time on your hands....OK, better get back to work, these video games don't sell themselves...well, actually, they do, but I still have to mail them.

tracyballard
September 16, 2008, 12:29
oh, almost forgot:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2364588#post2364588

Radio
September 16, 2008, 20:44
Dude, your Files auction is nice, but it has NOTHING to do with this thread. Please show some restraint.

tracyballard
September 16, 2008, 20:46
my bad:beer:

fry
September 18, 2008, 20:09
RIP Derby

fal fiend
September 21, 2008, 14:19
i really think about david (derby fals ) every year MG shoot time at knob creek. hes truly missed by anyone knew him, RIP bro.