PDA

View Full Version : G1 barrel on a L1A1 reciever?

bernardg
April 09, 2002, 20:11
My G1 kit came today from TAPCO, already got the reciever stub off. Cleaned the barrel threads and tried test fitting to my Century L1A1 reciever. The barrel went in about 3 turns then starting binding. Before I go any futher, wanted to know if this should go on easier than this...don't want to screw up the reciever...TIA :confused:

W.E.G.
April 09, 2002, 20:57
Its not uncommon for in-spec barrels to be difficult to "hand-tighten" onto in-spec receivers.

Dunno about that Century receiver though. It may not be right. The board seems to be heating up with gripes about Century's new proprietary receiver.

The only sure test is to clamp the barrel in a proper vise, and clamp the receiver in a proper wrench.

larphred
April 09, 2002, 22:15
Just got 2 Century L1A1 receivers. After milling off an errant bead of weld on the ejector block, they're lookin pretty good (fingers crossed). Both L1A1 barrels screwed on easily by hand and my metric mags fit in nicely. So fur so gud.

MM in NM
April 09, 2002, 23:47
I also took a chance and got one of the $149 special Century L1A1 receivers. While I don't have a lot of expierence with these things to me the finish so far looks better than the Century Imbels that I got from WG&A. Just last night, for the Hell of it, I screwed in the barrel of a Tapco G1 kit I have waiting to build (though I'm going to build an inch kit on the L1A1 receiver). At first the G1 barrel would rather bind up but after screwing it in and out a few times it screws right in now, though times a little short. If I was going to use this barrel with this receiver I'd have to take a little off the barrel shoulder to time exactly right but I think it's just rough parkerizing on the threads of the receiver and once worn in it is now OK.

Snakeshot
April 10, 2002, 09:33
It helps to put some anti-seize on the threads to keep them from galling.
Then screw in, back out, screw in, back out until it's all the way in.

bernardg
April 10, 2002, 16:45
Hey larphred, was your high spot in where the bolt hold open piece goes? That's where I found mine, took about an hour with the dremel to smooth it out. And thanks all for the suggestions...working on putting the lower together tonight....