PDA

View Full Version : Need some help...Para carrier&recoil spring

Matchman
September 17, 2001, 14:26
I made a carrier based on measurements from my 50.64 (I no longer have it to look at)

When carrier is as back as far as it goes (full recoil) Should the spring be fully compressed and stop the carrier before it impacts the back of the lower recever ?
(.075 short of bottoming out on receiver)

Matchman
September 18, 2001, 06:22
Anybody ?

no one has one apart for cleaning that they
could just look at for me ? Please....

jimmieZ
September 18, 2001, 07:00
None of the FAL variants had a recoil spring stiff enough to prevent the bolt carrier from impacting the lower receiver. That is normal operation. For those that cringe at the thought of metal beating against metal - they sell buffers to fit between these two parts. If the gas system is adjusted properly (so rounds are just ejected) then the impact between the bolt carrier and lower receiver shouldn't cause any problems.

Jim Z

Peter Wells
September 18, 2001, 08:16
My experience of FALs (33 years) is that a properly tuned (rather than 'range' tuned - sorry JimmieZ)) FAL drops it's brass 2 - 3 metres away. In this case there is considerable battering of carrier and lower (as can be seen on the forward face of the lower).
The suggestion to use a buffer - commercial or just a suitably shaped piece of leather/plastic/rubber jammed into back of upperc - is a good one. It reduces the battering AND felt recoil (to the extent that they were banned for Service Shooting here in SA).
Enjoy!