PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing options without complete disassembly

Lance
September 16, 2001, 22:29
I have a Century Frankenfal with a Hesse receiver. So far I've added a muzzle brake, a different lower assembly (metric) with really nice plastic furniture and refinished the old pebble grain handguards by sanding and painting them. All the furniture looks great and it shoots perfectly. I couldn't be happier...

...except...

Now the metal parts of the rifle do not match the nice looking furniture. <sigh> Are their any good DIY options for refinishing the barrel, receiver and lower reciever without removing the barrel from the reciever or a major disassembly? Thanks.

Lance

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Lance ]

FAL TAP
September 16, 2001, 22:42
Send it Macs at Shootiniron.com and DO NOT SEND IT TO F'CKN "ROBAR" they screwed me out of $600.00 and my rifles look like shit! Check out my post on FAQ. :mad: :mad:

Either do it yourself or send it out!

Check out KG Enterprises GunKote.
http://www.kgproducts.net/

TooTech
September 17, 2001, 12:12
You should be able to use one of the Brownell's spray paint finishes on the barrel/receiver assembly without taking them apart again. Pull off as many small parts (sling swivels, front sight, etc.) as possible and make certain to mask off areas where you DON'T want paint to go.

As for the lower, you might as well pull everything except the recoil spring tube. It's not that tough to re-assemble with a little patience.

Lance
September 17, 2001, 17:53
This is good news. It looks Like I can do it myself. Is there a FAQ somewhere (I've already searched) that describes the process? I assume I need to completely strip the finish thats on there now? Do I paint the barrel? Any tricks or special techniques I should employ? Any help or comments would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.