PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to install a l1a1 parts kit onto an imbel reciever?

Paul O
September 16, 2001, 14:41
i have no gunsmithing experience, but i am good with mechanical things. Could i build an l1a1 on my own with no special tools? i can get some help from the local hobby shop.

law4fun
September 16, 2001, 15:12
I would not want to build an FAL without a receiver wrench at the very least. It is difficult to get the barrel torqued onto the reciever without the wrench. Also, you run the risk of damaging the reciever without the wrench. Of course, YMMV.
HTH
Jim

sorzerer
September 16, 2001, 15:39
Other than the wrench (found here) A good vise will be helpful.

Make sure you get the inch version of the imbel. There are a few differences...charging handle and magazine cutout.

Sorzerer

Fire Fighter
September 16, 2001, 15:50
I posted the very same question here a few months ago. It's NO PROBLEM! I assume that you are asking about a metric reciever. As stated already there are a few differences between the metric and the inch pattern reciever. (1) you will have to use metric mags in the gun and (2) you will need to modify your charging handle.

I simply ran my inch pattern folding charging handle (only the inside flat) over a flat file to remove about 0.05 inches of metal. As is, it works. But I still need to cut and file my charging handle rails to allow the folding handle to fold flat.

Also, make sure you have the barrel spacing ring on before threading the barrel. If it indexes to far or not to the 11:00 position, you will need a new ring or thin out your existing ring.

I hope this helps a little. I have to give major credit to GUNPLUMBER! Go to his site and check out his shareware. Definately worth the $10! I also credit everyone else on this site who answered my questions when I started out. You will really love your new FAL and have real pride in building it yourself.
Good luck, have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

FF (formeral SSG M)