PDA

View Full Version : plans for wood parts

rhino
September 16, 2001, 10:48
need some plans for the forearm, grip and buttstock to make them out of walnut.

idsubgun
September 16, 2001, 20:33
Originally posted by rhino:
<STRONG>need some plans for the forearm, grip and buttstock to make them out of walnut.</STRONG>

Just a suggestion, why not buy a set from Ironwood and save yourself a lot of grief?

Ironwood Designs (http://ironwooddesigns.com/)

Dean P
September 16, 2001, 21:43
Check with Ian Skennerton: idskennerton@hotmail.com
He may be able to help you with some of the information.

rhino
September 17, 2001, 06:25
because there's nothing like doing it your self.

sixplusone
September 17, 2001, 10:07
Rhino; I made my own inch buttstock/PG
tips; Get the drill layout for the recoil/spring tube::Use an "oversize piece":: Try it out on a practice piece. Keep straight/ go slow. This is the hardest thing to do espec. if your wood has irreg. figure. practice. I used a drill sold in hardware store welded the extension shaft on; the drill has a pointed pyrimid at the center and otherwise looks 'normal'. I added length to mine [plans] also the recoil tube nut/washer must be measured carfully to allow it to pull the stock into the lower frame, remeasure several times. Matching wood counts! Colors of different woods may not be exact[stained]. enjoy. PG turned out to have a great feel every time you pick it up you'll be glad you built it; again.

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: sixplusone ]

rhino
September 17, 2001, 13:23
thanks, but I can't believe that someone on this board doesn't have prints. :(

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: rhino ]

hsp223
September 19, 2001, 10:34
Rhino- I've made a set (pg and Buttstock) out of walnut and am working on another. First and formost drill your hole straight like sixplusone suggested. As far as a pattern, use an existing stock. I've used an StG straight comb stock and added a cheek piece, I've also used a humpback as a pattern. If you have a metal ferrel then use that to determine the front shape. Drill the hole first on an oversized (length and width) wood blank. Square the sides with respect to the hole. Draw centerlines on top and bottom with respect to the hole. Use a template made from another stock and rough draw it on the blank to maximize grain structure and look. Cut the correct angle at the head of the stock makeing sure it is flat. Fit the metal ferral to the head of the stock and cut out the tang from the lower receiver. Once the head of the stock is fitted start on the butt end. Draw centerlines on top and bottom of the stock with respect to the hole. On the side of the stock draw a straight line representing the position of the hole as it procedes down the length of the stock. Cut the stock to length and fit buttpad. Put any toe in or out that you desire but be sure to rotate it on the buttstock hole. Once the buttpad is fitted then its time to shape the stock and apply finnish.

As an aside you could take a predrilled blank and another stock of the style that you want and have it duplicated by machine. Many stockmakers will do this for little money.

rhino
September 20, 2001, 13:10
thanks hsp223
;) :D